1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird integration problem.

1. Oct 20, 2006 #1
    Here I am, asking yet another question. :), Gotta keep you guys busy you know.

I am just practicing a bunch of integration questions found in a textbook a friend lent me, and I probably don't need to know how to integrate this, but I am interested anyways :).

This looks like a "Do you understand the notation", type question to me. I don't need help integrating, but only finding an antiderivative, I think I can handle the rest.

Is this some fancy way of writing [tex]\int_{0}^{0.5}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]? As this would normally be the way I would expect to see it. Or is it different? If it's what I think it is then of course the antiderivative is simply [tex]sin^{-1}x[/tex] , but I want to make sure. It's an even numbered question so there is no answer in the back :(.

Thanks yet again.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes, it means the same thing, just imagine "dx" as a number (even if it isn't, really). Then that new way of writing "follows" (even if it doesn't, really).

Just another notational convenience.
  4. Oct 20, 2006 #3
    Okay, thanks again.
  5. Oct 20, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You do understand, do you not, that you are asking if [itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex] is a "fancy" way of writing [itex]\frac{1}{b}a[/itex]?
  6. Oct 20, 2006 #5
    Well, I don't understand dx as being a "number" or a "unit" or anything like that in the case of integral notation. I figured that it meant that, but was not 100% sure. I could have assumed that common sense applies, but I could have been wrong right? I think that it's better to check then to assume, esspecially when learning new mathematical notation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?