Weird JPEG display artifacts

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm running Windows 2000 on an older computer. I'm getting these artifacts on images (see attached). It only occurs on JPEGs, nowhere else. It does *not* occur on screen, or even in GIFs.

They are randomly appearing - simply refreshing my browser is enough to get a different arrangement. But scrolling the screen does not alter them (eg. if I scroll a JPEG off-screen and back on, the artifacts act as if they are part of the image, remaining in-place.)

This is not a video card problem, as I have just replaced that.

Ever seen such a thing? Some sort of JPEG display malfunction?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
mezarashi said:
I would probably accuse the JPEG decoder. Try another program to view that JPEG.
Well, the program I'm viewing the JPG with is Internet Explorer. I just realized, it is IE-specific - it is NOT occurring in Firefox!

mezarashi said:
I also found your statement:

"JPEGs, nowhere else. It does not occur on screen"

a bit confusing. It doesn't occur on screen, but it occurs on JPEG. Where exactly is this "JPEG"?
I meant, it does not occur randomly all across my screen, as I would expect it would if it were a video card artifact. It occurs only in JPEG images on screen.

mezarashi
Homework Helper
DaveC426913 said:
Well, the program I'm viewing the JPG with is Internet Explorer. I just realized, it is IE-specific - it is NOT occurring in Firefox!
See how evil the Microsoft empire is? ;)

dduardo
Staff Emeritus
DaveC426913, I think you solved your own problem.