Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bug Weird LaTex bug

1. Dec 12, 2008 #1
    I'm getting this weird LaTex bug that is really messing with my posts.

Sometimes when I use the tex tags, I get this weird problem that no matter what I put inside them, the post will always display the a certain equation inside of the tags.

For example:

I am trying to edit my signature (writing my name in greek letters), however, no matter what I put inside the tags (anything at all), the only thing that will come up as a result of my tex tags will be:

[tex]\rho=\sqrt{4az_0}[/tex]

The problem is on/off (for example I don't seem to be having the problem with this particular post), however, when it ocurrs, it is very irritating.

Does anyone know what is happening?

Here is a screenshot of the problem. It shows the wrong result coming from what I typed in the edit box (the preview in the picture is directly off of what is written in the edit box and no changes were made).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2008 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You tried all the usual stuff - clearing cache, refreshing window a half dozen times, etc?

4. Dec 12, 2008 #3
    Yeah. The equation that it keeps displaying is from a while ago too.

5. Dec 12, 2008 #4
    I don't believe the LaTeX feature is designed for signatures. Partially because the post id is used for part of the images name. Obviously there is no post id when making a signature.

6. Dec 12, 2008 #5
    But I've had the same problem making regular posts as well.

7. Dec 12, 2008 #6
    ok I would send chroot a little PM

8. Dec 12, 2008 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

I have the same problem. It first appeared when I entered to Greg's blog. I almost got a heart attack when I saw something written in Latex : it was exactly what I wrote in a homework thread!!! I was thinking "what a coincidence!!" but then I realized further on the page other formulas that I wrote and started to understand what was going on : it's like whatever there is written in Latex, it will always appear something you saw before, or maybe something you wrote in Latex before. It happens since more than a week (maybe even 2 or 3 weeks) at least.

9. Dec 13, 2008 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you only get the wrong image when you mess up the LaTeX code (and apparently when you try to use LaTeX in signatures). Example:

10. Dec 13, 2008 #9

fluidistic

Gold Member

You're wrong. It might appear when you enter a wrong Latex code but it's not the cause. I don't think Greg's blog contains only wrong typed Latex code.
    Check out the first post on this thread, Math Jeans typed \sigma and what appeared was \sqrt{4az_0}. Both are well typed Latex code.
    Hence that's a really strange bug. :rolleyes:

11. Dec 13, 2008 #10

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Math Jeans, if you just need Greek characters you can copy-and-paste from here:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=347
    FYI, some characters look much better in boldface Times New Roman font

Mατη Jεανσ vs. Mατη Jεανσ

12. Dec 13, 2008 #11

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

FYI, this problem has been discussed previously:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=273819

13. Dec 13, 2008 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really do think all of these kinds of problems are cache issues in the browser, but I don't know why some people seem to have recurrent problems and many others never have any. I'll try to reproduce some of these bugs myself, at least.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?