1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Weird marking scheme for university course - need help

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    Hi, im doing this really crazy course at university, i need some help in understanding the final course mark calculation which is:

Course mark = 0.6max{ T, F} + 0.4min{T, F}

T = term mark = 0.3( average percentage on assignments) + 0.7( average percentage on term tests)

F = final exam percentage

what does 0.6max{ T, F} supposed to mean! the part where max{ T, F} is what i dont understand, max is maximum but what does {T, F} means??

any help would be really appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2
    Term Mark and Final.
    Sorry, I only read the last sentence, now I realize my answer wasn't useful.
  4. Aug 11, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

My guess is that 0.6max{T,F} means "0.6 times the larger one of T and F", and similarly for min{T,F} so if T = 95 and F = 85, then the course mark would be

0.6 * 95 + 0.4 * 85 = 91

The result would be the same if the grades were swapped so T = 85 and F = 95.

However, you really should ask the course instructor / professor about this.
  5. Aug 11, 2010 #4
    Basically it is a nice system, since it emphasize the part of the course you did best on. So if you ace the exam you aced 60% of the course with assignments worth 40% or if you bombed the exam you just bombed 40% of the course and got the assignments and such weighing 60%.

Isn't that obvious from what you wrote?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook