Expired Password: 12648 Days Old

• Thread starter Gara
  • Start date
In summary, a user received a message stating their password was expired, but it was just a routine reminder to update passwords twice a year. The user's post was lost while resetting their password, but they assure others it was not a significant loss. There was also discussion about a strange email received around the same time. One user may have exaggerated the quality of their lost post, and there was some friendly banter between users. Overall, nothing serious happened.
Gara
Weird Message !?

"Your password is 12648 days old, and has therefore expired"

Ohnoes?

Physics news on Phys.org
WOW ! PF in the swingin' sixties ??

It just means that you've never changed your password. The field that contains the date of your last password change is "0," which is 1 Jan 1970 in UNIX. We've decided to have users change their passwords twice a year just to make sure email addresses stay current. You can rest easy, nothing is wrong. :smile:

- Warren

Yeah, except I got that message last night as I hit submit reply, and my post vaporized into cyberspace while I was fiddling around resetting my password. :grumpy: Now the world will never know the wonderful pearls of wisdom I had typed out to share last night, and I must say, it was my most eloquent, thoughtful, insightful, revelation of earth-shattering news ever! But you'll just have to take my word for it now. :approve: :biggrin: :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
Yeah, except I got that message last night as I hit submit reply, and my post vaporized into cyberspace while I was fiddling around resetting my password. :grumpy: Now the world will never know the wonderful pearls of wisdom I had typed out to share last night, and I must say, it was my most eloquent, thoughtful, insightful, revelation of earth-shattering news ever! But you'll just have to take my word for it now. :approve: :biggrin: :tongue2:
Strange, I got one of those annoying 'chain mail' emails about the same time ... except it was pure gibberish (apart from 'moc.smuroFscisyhP@raebnooM' in the "From:" field) ... I'm sure it was *completely, totally, absolutely* unrelated :wink: :tongue2:

Moonbear said:

Ah shoot, sorry moonbear I should have warned everyone first. :frown:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Ah shoot, sorry moonbear I should have warned everyone first. :frown:

Nereid said:
Strange, I got one of those annoying 'chain mail' emails about the same time ... except it was pure gibberish (apart from 'moc.smuroFscisyhP@raebnooM' in the "From:" field) ... I'm sure it was *completely, totally, absolutely* unrelated

Um...I might have exaggerated just a wee bit about the quality of that zapped post. :rolleyes: :wink:

It was only for the general discussion forum anyway. It's my fault for writing a post so long it took 34 years to compose :eek: :rofl: Probably just my cyber-guardian angel keeping me from embarrassing myself by posting it. :redface:

Moonbear said:
It was only for the general discussion forum anyway.
Hmmph! :grumpy:

(Moonbear knows I love her) :smile:

Evo said:
Hmmph! :grumpy:

(Moonbear knows I love her) :smile:

:frown: I didn't mean to insult Evo :cry: But she knows what I meant (I hope). It wasn't a post that involved tracking down quotes from 6 different references with links to the supporting literature, which would have really frustrated me had I lost something that required so much effort. Then again, I usually compose those posts in textedit first since they are quite involved and include a lot of copying and pasting of things I wouldn't want to lose before completing the message.

1. What exactly is a "Weird Message"?

A "Weird Message" is a vague term that can refer to any type of strange or unusual message that someone receives. It could be an email, a text message, a voicemail, or any other form of communication that is unexpected or confusing.

2. Are "Weird Messages" dangerous or harmful?

It depends on the specific message and its contents. Some "Weird Messages" could potentially be scams or spam, while others may just be harmless pranks. It's always best to err on the side of caution and not respond to any unknown or suspicious messages.

3. Why do people receive "Weird Messages"?

There are many potential reasons why someone might receive a "Weird Message." It could be a mistake, a prank, a scam, or a message from someone who has the wrong contact information. It's also possible that the message is intentionally vague or confusing for a specific purpose.

4. Is there a way to prevent or stop receiving "Weird Messages"?

Unfortunately, there is no foolproof way to prevent or stop receiving "Weird Messages." However, you can reduce the chances of receiving them by being cautious with who you share your contact information with and avoiding opening messages from unknown senders.

5. What should I do if I receive a "Weird Message"?

If you receive a "Weird Message," it's best to ignore it and not respond. If the message is threatening or harassing, you may want to consider blocking the sender or reporting the message to the appropriate authorities. It's always better to err on the side of caution and not engage with unknown or suspicious messages.