Understanding Partial Differentiation in Classical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical issue of differentiating a function L(x,x*) where x is a function of t and x* is a dependent variable. It is explained that in mathematical notation, x and x* are treated as independent variables, even though they may be physically dependent on each other. The conversation also touches on the concept of partial derivatives and how they are defined only with respect to explicit variables. The original question is clarified as being related to classical mechanics and the concept of dot cancellation. It is suggested that this topic may be better discussed in a physics forum.
nonequilibrium
Hello,

I got confused in my Classical Mechanics class (on a mathematical issue). So let [tex]L[/tex] denote a function dependent on x and its derivative explicitly, such that its image is [tex]L(x,x*)[/tex] (NOTE: I'm using * as the overdot-Leibniz notation for the derivative) and x is a function of t.

To make it easy, I'll give an explicit form [tex]L(x,x*) = Ax + Bx*[/tex]. Now I found it odd that [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial x} = A[/tex] instead of [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial x} = A + \frac{\partial x*}{\partial x}[/tex]... What is the reasoning behind this? Is it because L is an explicit function of x* too? Or is it because x* is not explicitly dependent of x? Well it's quite probable that x* is physically dependent on x (only not the case when x is a linear function of degree 1 or 0), but for some reason mathematically it isn't(?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello mr. vodka! :smile:
mr. vodka said:
Well it's quite probable that x* is physically dependent on x (only not the case when x is a linear function of degree 1 or 0), but for some reason mathematically it isn't(?)

Yup, that's it …

L is specially defined mathematically

when you differentiate, x and x* are treated as independent variables. :wink:

So, for example, in general it's true that

[tex]\frac{\partial f(x,y,z)}{\partial \frac{dx}{dt}} = 0[/tex]

?

EDIT: Hm, re-reading my post, my question doesn't seem to make a lot of sense: you can't take a partial derivative wrt something that isn't explicitly a variable. By definition of partial derivative: I'm holding x,y,z constant and letting dx/dt variate... I don't know if that is even consistent, but the first part of my sentence would imply that ... = 0. On the other hand, I could also write down [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} f(x,y,z)}{\mathrm{d} \frac{dx}{dt}}[/tex]; is this also zero?

EDIT2: In my classical mechanics course, v_i is a function of q_j's. Then it makes a statement about [tex]\frac{\partial v_i}{\partial \frac{\mathrm d q_j}{\mathrm d t}}[/tex] Is this even well-defined? A partial derivative is only defined wrt explicit variables...

Last edited:
If f isn't a function of ∂x/∂t (as well as of x y and z), that doesn't make much sense.

oh … just seen your edit … you beat me to it! :biggrin:

(and messing about with d instead of ∂ is never gong to happen in practice. :wink:)

If v is expressed as a function of qs only, that really means it's a function of qs and dq/dts, but it's constant in the dq/dts.

(i'll post quickly before he does another edit! :rolleyes:)

Thanks for the diligent help!

I'm not sure what you mean with "but it's constant in the dq/dts".
Wouldn't that imply that [tex]\frac{\partial v_i}{\partial \frac{\mathrm d q_j}{\mathrm d t}} = 0[/tex]? However, in my course, there is stated that it's equal to [tex]\frac{\partial r_i}{\partial q_j}[/tex] (called dot cancellation, apparently -- I'll assume that by now you've figured out r is the position vector and v the velocity)

Now I'm totally confused as to what v is. :confused:

My apologies: v is the velocity vector, i.e. [tex]\vec v_i = \frac{\mathrm d \vec r_i}{\mathrm d t}[/tex]. The q_j's are the (independent) variables on which r_i (and thus v_i) are dependent (along with explicitly/implicitly time t). Note: I left out the vector notation for v and r in previous posts due to laziness.

EDIT: perhaps this is a question best asked in a physics forum?

Last edited:
I'm used to seeing ps and qs as the variables …

which are the ps in your notation? :confused:

(sorry for the delay … i thought i'd pressed "Submit Reply", but i hadn't :redface:)

Hm, did I use p's somewhere? There are no p's, only the q's are the variables.

i.e.:

[tex]\vec r_i : R^n \to R^3: (q_1,q_2, ...,q_n) \to \vec r_i(q_1,q_2, ...,q_n)[/tex]

And by definition of derivative:

[tex]\vec v_i : R^n \to R^3: (q_1,q_2, ...,q_n) \to \frac{\mathrm d \vec r_i}{\mathrm d t}(q_1,q_2, ...,q_n)[/tex]

What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its independent variables while holding all other variables constant.

What makes partial differentiation "weird"?

Partial differentiation can be considered "weird" because it involves taking the derivative of a multivariable function, which can often lead to complex and unintuitive results.

Why is partial differentiation important?

Partial differentiation is important in various fields of science and engineering, particularly in physics and economics, as it allows for the analysis and optimization of multivariable systems.

What are some common applications of partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is commonly used in fields such as thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and optimization problems in economics and engineering. It is also used in the study of surfaces and curves in mathematics.

How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Ordinary differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to a single independent variable, while partial differentiation involves finding the rate of change with respect to one variable while holding all others constant.