1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird plate capacitor

1. May 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a capacitor which i just like a plate capacitor, but instead of the upper electrode being a plate it is a point charge Q. the lower plate is held at a fixed potential V=0.

I am supposed to calculate the capacitance of the capacitor.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've used the image method with a negative charge (-Q) at the same distance from the lower plate (forcing V=0 on this plate).
    now I wanted to calculate the potential difference between the "plates", but it is obvisously inifinite since as we get closer to the point charge the potential grows like 1/x^2.
    and thus C = Q/delta_V = 0
    what am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2
    someone? even if you are not sure I will be glad to hear what you think...

4. May 7, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I looks to me like you are right. If one of the plates is an ideal point, you are going to have a really hard time shoving any charge into that capacitor. I'll vote for C=0.

5. May 7, 2008 #4
    thanks.
    I've wrote in email to my lecturer asking about it.
    I'll let you know how it goes...

6. May 7, 2008 #5
    Okey so my lecturer had answered to use a small radius spherical electrode instead of a point charge.
    actually I'm pretty confused, so I'll try to work on it for a little while and let you know if I made some progress and/or have any questions.

thanks for the help!
    shomey

7. May 8, 2008 #6
    I solved the question, it's not that difficult after all - just a lot of calculations.
    solution is attached if you are interested :) if you see an error i would love to know about it..

now - supposed I know the capacitance and the force felt by the upper electrode, and I know all dielectric coefficients eps_k, could I derive the dielectric layers' lengths??

I can see only two equations, thus missing (N-2) to solve the problem, but I was told it is possible...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  8. May 8, 2008 #7
    I've made progress, I'm stuck with 6/8 equations, could you think about anything I might have missed??? thanks!

Attached Files:

9. May 9, 2008 #8
    I have the feeling I got the first two sections wrong...
    something about my dealing with the dielectrics.
    could you have a look and tell me what you think?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?