Why is my solution precipitating after neutralization with NaOH and HCl?

In summary: Stored in "soft glass" for any length of time? Sounds like a rediscovery of silica solubility in base.
Nix13
We're attempting to measure the immunogenic affects of a particular molecule after subsequent acid and base treatments. As a first version, we're keeping it simple. After all treatment and neutralization, we wind up with 400 uL 0.2 N HCl + 400 uL 0.2 N NaOH + 200 uL H2O. We are getting massive precipitation upon neutralization! To test whether this was due to our compound, I did a water control and the same thing happened. Considering the solubility of NaCl is in excess of 6 M, what the hell could be going on? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. This is basic gen chem stuff, so I am baffled.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Nix13 said:
We're attempting to measure the immunogenic affects of a particular molecule after subsequent acid and base treatments. As a first version, we're keeping it simple. After all treatment and neutralization, we wind up with 400 uL 0.2 N HCl + 400 uL 0.2 N NaOH + 200 uL H2O. We are getting massive precipitation upon neutralization! To test whether this was due to our compound, I did a water control and the same thing happened. Considering the solubility of NaCl is in excess of 6 M, what the hell could be going on? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. This is basic gen chem stuff, so I am baffled.

You have contamination in your solutions if you are seeing precipitation with "pure water". The end-point of a titration of HCl with an equal amount of sodium hydroxide is a sodium chloride solution, which is a homogeneous liquid.

Assuming that your precipitation is with hydroxide, you likely have some kind of metal cation impurity that is precipitating out.

http://cpe.njit.edu/dlnotes/che685/cls06-2.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Quantum Defect said:
You have contamination in your solutions if you are seeing precipitation with "pure water". The end-point of a titration of HCl with an equal amount of sodium hydroxide is a sodium chloride solution, which is a homogeneous liquid.

Assuming that your precipitation is with hydroxide, you likely have some kind of metal cation impurity that is precipitating out.

http://cpe.njit.edu/dlnotes/che685/cls06-2.pdf

With some experimentation it appears our NaOH solution was contaminated, though how and by what I am puzzled, since the precipitation filled as much as half the volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nix13 said:
NaOH solution was contaminated ... as much as half the volume.
Stored in "soft glass" for any length of time? Sounds like a rediscovery of silica solubility in base.

Likes Quantum Defect

1. What causes "Weird precipitation issue"?

There are several possible causes for this phenomenon, including changes in atmospheric pressure, temperature fluctuations, and air pollution. It is important to conduct further research to determine the exact cause in a specific location.

2. Is "Weird precipitation issue" harmful to the environment or human health?

As of now, there is no evidence to suggest that "Weird precipitation issue" has any negative effects on the environment or human health. However, it is still important to monitor and study this phenomenon to ensure it does not become a problem in the future.

3. Are there any known solutions to prevent "Weird precipitation issue"?

Unfortunately, there is currently no known solution to prevent "Weird precipitation issue". However, by continuing to study and understand the causes of this phenomenon, we may be able to develop strategies to mitigate its effects in the future.

4. How does "Weird precipitation issue" differ from normal precipitation?

"Weird precipitation issue" is different from normal precipitation in that it can manifest in unusual forms such as colored rain or snow, oily rain, or even fish or frogs falling from the sky. It also tends to occur in unexpected locations and at unusual times.

5. Can "Weird precipitation issue" be predicted or forecasted?

At this point, it is difficult to predict or forecast "Weird precipitation issue" with accuracy. However, ongoing research and monitoring may help us better understand the patterns and conditions that lead to this phenomenon, allowing for more accurate predictions in the future.