Confused About Weird Acceleration Problem in Physics: mA=14kg, mB=11kg, mC=50kg

• Thread starter Hafid Iqbal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary: If you can use the information to establish an equation then use the same equation for the acceleration in the y direction.In summary, the problem involves three masses connected by strings and released from rest. The system is assumed to have smooth contacts and the goal is to find the acceleration of each block (mA = 14 kg, mB = 11 kg, mC = 50 kg). After various attempts to solve the problem, it is still unclear if the normal force for block A is zero. The correct equations for acceleration and net force on mass C are still unknown. However, the key to solving the problem is to find the equation relating the positions first and then differentiating. The length of string is constant regardless of motion and this information
Hafid Iqbal
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/9697/physicsy.jpg [Broken]

The system bodies shown in the figure is released from rest. Assuming all the contacts to be smooth, find the acceleration of each block (mA = 14 kg, mB = 11 kg, mC = 50 kg)

This problem from Problems In Physics by Abhay K. Singh
I really confused about the answer, it said the acceleration in y-axis for B is [tex]a_{By}=-3a_{Ay}[/tex] which acceleration of each block is [tex]a_A = \sqrt{2}, \ a_B = \sqrt{10}, \ a_C = 1[/tex]

I have tried to figure it out and still find [tex]a_{By}=-2a_{Ay}[/tex] and all of my answer didn't match with the answer by the author

I have had :
[tex]a_{Ay}=\frac{(2m_B-m_a)g}{4m_B+m_a}[/tex],

[tex]a_{By}=\frac{(4m_B-2m_a)g}{4m_B+m_a}[/tex],

[tex]a_{C} = \frac{3m_A.m_B.g}{(4m_B+m_A)(m_C+m_B)}[/tex]

One more thing, is it true that normal force for [tex]A[/tex] is zero?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Hafid! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

Your aBy = -2aAy would be correct if block C were not moving.

You'll need to add aCx to your aBy and aAy equation.

Try again (and if you still can't get it, please show your actual calculations :wink:).​
One more thing, is it true that normal force for [tex]A[/tex] is zero?

hmm … if the diagram is correct, then A is accelerating to the right, so the normal force would have to be negative! :rolleyes: Unless A is constrained to move in a slot, A must be hanging at an angle. :redface:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Hafid! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

Your aBy = -2aAy would be correct if block C were not moving.

You'll need to add aCx to your aBy and aAy equation.

Try again (and if you still can't get it, please show your actual calculations :wink:).​

hmm … if the diagram is correct, then A is accelerating to the right, so the normal force would have to be negative! :rolleyes: Unless A is constrained to move in a slot, A must be hanging at an angle. :redface:

Hi tiny-tim, thanks for your reply! But I'm still stuck :(
Here's my complete paper work :yuck:

Phewww... And you know what, it is still wrong :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow so neat!:cool: Handwriting that is. And the colours!

oooh, I like the colours! :tongue2:

But you're still using aBy = 2aAy. :redface:

You need to mark your diagram with something to show how far across C the middle pulley is. :wink:

Iclaudius said:
Wow so neat!:cool: Handwriting that is. And the colours!
Hehe... Thanks Iclaudius... :)
tiny-tim said:
oooh, I like the colours! :tongue2:

But you're still using aBy = 2aAy. :redface:

You need to mark your diagram with something to show how far across C the middle pulley is. :wink:

Hmmm... So, what is the right equation for the acceleration?
And, is my equation for mass C true?

Hafid Iqbal said:
Hmmm... So, what is the right equation for the acceleration?

dunno, I haven't worked it out, I was going to let you do it, and then criticise. :wink:

(i'm good at that o:))
And, is my equation for mass C true?

Doing mass C on its own is not a good idea, since you need to know the reaction forces from A and B.

Do the (horizontal) equation for masses A B and C together. :smile:

I have tried it all over, and still can't solve it, please if anyone here know the right equation for acceleration and net force on mass C help me...

The way to find the equation relating the accelerations is to find the equation relating the positions first, and then differentiate.

So call the distance from the middle pulley to the wall p, and the distance from the middle pulley to the right-hand pulley q …

then what are the x component of C, and the y components of A and B (in terms of p and q)? :smile:

Weird problem and answer but some crazy fun diagram. Never seen someone solve physics question so colorfully.
For the problems regarding acceleration use this hint: The length of string is constant irrespective of the motion.

1. What is a "Weird Problem and Answer"?

A "Weird Problem and Answer" is a hypothetical question and solution that may seem unusual or strange, but is based on scientific principles and reasoning.

2. Can you give an example of a "Weird Problem and Answer"?

Sure! An example could be: "Why does toast always seem to land butter-side down when dropped?" The answer would involve a combination of physics and probability, explaining that the weight distribution of the toast and the height of the drop make it more likely for it to land butter-side down.

3. How are "Weird Problem and Answers" useful in the field of science?

"Weird Problem and Answers" can be useful for scientists to think outside of the box and come up with creative solutions to real-world problems. They can also be used to spark curiosity and interest in scientific concepts among the general public.

4. Are "Weird Problem and Answers" considered valid scientific research?

While they may not be considered traditional research, "Weird Problem and Answers" can still be based on scientific principles and can be used to test hypotheses and come up with new ideas. They can also serve as a starting point for further research and experimentation.

5. Can anyone come up with a "Weird Problem and Answer"?

Yes, anyone can come up with a "Weird Problem and Answer" as long as it is based on scientific principles and is backed up by evidence and reasoning. It is a fun and creative way to think about science and can be done by people of all ages and backgrounds.