Projectile Motion: Finding Angle and Displacement in x Seconds

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle and displacement of a projectile after a certain amount of time, as well as the use of a physics engine and the potential for memory allocation issues. The suggestion to separately track position and velocity and update them incrementally is also mentioned. The use of the formula theta = atan(u + at) for finding the angle is questioned.
Seppy
I need to find the angle of a projectile after traveling x seconds of flight.
I know the position of the projectile, the x seconds and the velocity.

or

I need to find the displacement of a projectile after a set increment time rather than the standard, total time used in the

y=ut+1/2gt^2

This is for a physics engine, instead of keeping a constant clock of projectiles i need to update the projectiles position every x seconds. This is because for longterm flight projectiles the clock would exceed memory allocation.

What I've tryed to do is use

theta = atan(u + at)

But it gets weird results.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might find it easier to just keep track of position and velocity separately, then, as most engines do. Simply update the y-velocity by a*time_increment, and then update y and x by corresponding velocity * time_increment. If your time increments are small enough, result should be the same.

Or are you restricted to large time increments for some reason?

I have no idea why computing y = ut + 1/2gt^2 for a lot of succesive values of t would exceed memory allocation.

theta = atan(u + at) would give the angle of the velocity of the projectile with the x axis, IF the x component of the velocity was equal to 1. I don't really see what good this angle would do to find a new x and y, if you already know v_x and v_y.

What is "Weird Projectile Physics"?

"Weird Projectile Physics" refers to the study of the motion and behavior of objects that are launched through the air, and the unusual or unexpected phenomena that can occur during these movements.

What makes projectile physics "weird"?

The term "weird" is used in this context to describe the non-traditional or counterintuitive aspects of projectile motion. This can include strange trajectories, changes in velocity, or unexpected forces acting on the object.

How is "Weird Projectile Physics" different from traditional projectile physics?

Traditional projectile physics primarily focuses on the motion of objects under the influence of gravity and air resistance. "Weird Projectile Physics" expands on this by taking into account other factors such as spin, aerodynamics, and non-uniform air density.

What are some real-world applications of "Weird Projectile Physics"?

"Weird Projectile Physics" has many practical applications, such as in sports like baseball and golf, where understanding the effects of spin and air resistance on a projectile can improve performance. It is also important in fields like ballistics and aerospace engineering.

How can understanding "Weird Projectile Physics" benefit society?

Studying "Weird Projectile Physics" can lead to advancements in technology and engineering, as well as a better understanding of the laws of motion. This knowledge can then be applied to improve transportation, sports equipment, and other areas that rely on projectile motion.