Expressing p in Terms of q, r, and s from Quadratic Equation (1)

• Thread starter phospho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
So in summary, using the quadratic formula, we can express p in terms of only q, r, and s as p = \dfrac{-(3qr + s)}{9q^2}.
phospho
[itex]6pq+r=\sqrt{r^2-4ps}, \ \ p\neq 0 \ \ (1)[/itex]

Without squaring (1) or any of it's rearrangements, express p in terms of only q, r and s.I realized this is some sort of quadratic formula so I got [tex] p = \dfrac{-r+\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{6q} [/tex]

so for the quadratic ap^2 + bp + c,
a = 3q, b = r, c = s,
3qp^2 + rp + s

i'm stuck from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
phospho said:

Without squaring (1) or any of it's rearrangements, express p in terms of only q, r and s.

I realized this is some sort of quadratic formula so I got [tex] p = \dfrac{-r+\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{6q} [/tex]

a = 3q, b = r, c = s,
3qp^2 + rp + s

I'm stuck from here.
Does the quadratic formula count as squaring equation (1) ? Just asking ...

If it's OK to use the quadratic formula, then notice that in relation to the standard quadratic equation,
[itex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/itex]​
the quantities under the radical are the coefficients, a, b, and c.
[itex]\displaystyle x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/itex]​

Puttying this in a form similar to eq. (1) gives
[itex]\displaystyle 2ax+b=\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}[/itex]​

phospho said:

Without squaring (1) or any of it's rearrangements, express p in terms of only q, r and s.

I realized this is some sort of quadratic formula so I got [tex] p = \dfrac{-r+\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{6q} [/tex]

a = 3q, b = r, c = s,
3qp^2 + rp + s

i'm stuck from here.

errm... [itex]4ac \neq 4ps[/itex] so this isn't quite so nice

SammyS said:
Does the quadratic formula count as squaring equation (1) ? Just asking ...

If it's OK to use the quadratic formula, then notice that in relation to the standard quadratic equation,
[itex]ax^2+bx+c=0[/itex]​
the quantities under the radical are the coefficients, a, b, and c.
[itex]\displaystyle x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/itex]​

Puttying this in a form similar to eq. (1) gives
[itex]\displaystyle 2ax+b=\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}[/itex]​
It doesn't no.

I somehow managin to get [tex] p = \dfrac{-(rq+s)}{3q^2} [/tex] which is incorrect

gabbagabbahey said:
errm... [itex]4ac \neq 4ps[/itex] so this isn't quite so nice

could you explain?

Last edited:
never mind I rearranged into [itex] 3q = \dfrac{-r+\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{2p} [/itex] and got the right answer.

thanks!

Last edited:
phospho said:
never mind I rearranged into [itex] 3q = \dfrac{-r\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{2p} [/itex] and got the right answer.
Not sure how you got the right answer, because what you wrote doesn't follow from the original. Also, I thought the question was to...
phospho said:
express p in terms of only q, r and s.
Color me confused. :confused:

phospho said:
never mind I rearranged into [itex] 3q = \dfrac{-r\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{2p} [/itex] and got the right answer.

thanks!
So, what did you get for p ?

SammyS said:
So, what did you get for p ?
eumyang said:
Not sure how you got the right answer, because what you wrote doesn't follow from the original. Also, I thought the question was to...

Color me confused. :confused:

well the original equation is [itex] 6pq + r = \sqrt{r^2-4ps} [/itex] I rearranged to get [itex] 3q = \dfrac{-r+\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{2p} [/itex] I then compared it with [itex] x = \dfrac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a} [/itex] giving x = 3q, b = r, c = s so: [itex] p(3q)^2 +r3q +s = 0 [/itex] rearranging to get [itex]p = \dfrac{-(3qr + s)}{9q^2} [/itex] which is correct (or so it says.)

phospho said:
well the original equation is [itex] 6pq + r = \sqrt{r^2-4ps} [/itex] I rearranged to get [itex] 3q = \dfrac{-r+\sqrt{r^2-4ps}}{2p} [/itex] I then compared it with [itex] x = \dfrac{-b+\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a} [/itex] giving x = 3q, b = r, c = s so: [itex] p(3q)^2 +r3q +s = 0 [/itex] rearranging to get [itex]p = \dfrac{-(3qr + s)}{9q^2} [/itex] which is correct (or so it says.)

I agree.

What is the quadratic equation?

The quadratic equation is a mathematical formula used to find the roots of a quadratic function, which is a function with a squared variable.

How do you express p in terms of q, r, and s from Quadratic Equation (1)?

To express p in terms of q, r, and s from Quadratic Equation (1), you can follow these steps:

1. Start with the quadratic equation: ax^2 + bx + c = 0
  2. Substitute q for x and rearrange the equation to get: aq^2 + bq + c = 0
  3. Factor the quadratic equation into two binomials: (aq + m)(aq + n) = 0
  4. From this, we can see that p = -m and p = -n, so p = -(m + n)
  5. Substitute r and s for m and n, respectively, to get the final expression: p = -(r + s)

Why is it important to express p in terms of q, r, and s?

Expressing p in terms of q, r, and s allows us to better understand the relationship between the variables in the quadratic equation. It also helps us to solve for p if we know the values of q, r, and s.

Can the quadratic equation be solved without expressing p in terms of q, r, and s?

Yes, the quadratic equation can still be solved without expressing p in terms of q, r, and s. However, expressing p in terms of q, r, and s can make the solution process easier and more straightforward.

Are there any real-world applications for expressing p in terms of q, r, and s from Quadratic Equation (1)?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for expressing p in terms of q, r, and s from Quadratic Equation (1). For example, in physics, the quadratic equation is used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, and expressing p in terms of q, r, and s allows us to understand the effects of different variables on the trajectory. Additionally, in engineering, the quadratic equation is used to find the optimal solution for maximizing profits or minimizing costs, and expressing p in terms of q, r, and s helps to identify the most influential variables in the equation.