Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird qustion

1. Jan 23, 2005 #1
    This is a VERY silly question that's been bugging me for some time.

I've read somewhere that urinals in some bathrooms have a small fly that is purposely painted on. When the urine hits that spot, it is least likely to "splash back". Conveniently, men instinctively aim for that spot when urinating.:shy:

Anyway, could that instinct be part of a "miscellaneous genetic trait" inherited from our ancestors, the same instinctive fascination we have with fire? Sure, it lacks the grandeur of fire, but if you've been having fun peeing on insects for a million years, part of that will be transmitted down to the next generation.

Am I making any sense?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2005 #2
    I think its inherent in everyone yes, because you always focus on something that is out of the ordinary.

Its a bit like having a blank sheet of paper, your eyes scan across it looking at nothign in particular. But put a nice black dot in the middle, and your eyes immediately focus on it. I guess its the same principle! Fans of Naruto will notice the reference ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?