Is there a connection between them?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion between substitution and pullback in the context of differential forms and coordinate transformations. The main point is that when computing dxdy in polar coordinates, what is actually being computed is the pullback of dxdy by the coordinate transformation function. This is further explained using the concepts of a diffeomorphism and coordinate charts. The conversation also clarifies that the function F used for the coordinate transformation is not actually the identity function, but rather a composition of identities.
dragonlorder
I know this may sounds silly but I am confused
consider this two form for example, by substitution, I get
[tex]\omega = dx \wedge dy = d(rCos\theta)\wedge d(rSin\theta) = r dr \wedge d\theta[/tex]

also consider this smooth map [tex]F(x,y)=(rCos\theta,rSin\theta)[/tex]

then [tex]F^{*}\omega = rdr \wedge d\theta[/tex]

which means that [tex]F^{*}\omega= \omega[/tex]!?, that's just weird.

I am reading John's Lee smooth manifold book. and I saw the substitution writing at the differential form chapter. and the pullback writing at the Covector field chapter.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you compute dxdy in polar coordinates, what you are doing is you're computing the pullback of dxdy by F-1. So of course when you then apply F* to the form in polar coordinates, you fall back on dxdy since you're computing

F* o (F-1)* dxdy = (F-1 o F)* dxdy = Id* dxdy = dxdy

Review the definitions if you need to.

quasar987 said:
When you compute dxdy in polar coordinates, what you are doing is you're computing the pullback of dxdy by F-1. So of course when you then apply F* to the form in polar coordinates, you fall back on dxdy since you're computing

F* o (F-1)* dxdy = (F-1 o F)* dxdy = Id* dxdy = dxdy

Review the definitions if you need to.

In the case above, [tex]F:\mathbb R^2\to\mathbb R^2[/tex] would just be the identity function, right? Since it is just a coordinate transformation. The pullback of the identity function is the identity on forms, so the relation [tex]F^*\omega[/tex] is typical for coordinate transformations.

If [tex]F:(r,\theta)\mapsto (r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta),[/tex] which I'm suspecting he meant above, computing the form [tex]dx\wedge dy[/tex] in polar coordinates is the pullback by F itself, since the pullback is a contravariant functor. This is equal to the form itself since F is the identity but it is just expressed in a different coordinate system.

Last edited:
Note that F(r,O)=(rcosO,rsinO) is actually defined (at most) on (0,+\infty) x (0,2pi) in order for F to be a diffeomorphism. But clearly F is not the identity! The identity is Id(r,O)=(r,O).

Thank you for the post
I understand that [tex] F^*[/tex] pull the form on x,y R^2 back to polar
so the form would be expressed in polar R^2 as a pullback map acting on it
[tex] F^* \omega [/tex]
while this seems pretty good, I noticed Lee wrote in his later chapter, [tex]\omega = dx \wedge dy = r dr \wedge d \theta [/tex] kind of throw me off. Where is the pullback operator

or is it that he changes the coordinate chart instead of change the manifold the form is on?

Last edited:
That's it... if (x^i), (y^i) are coordinate charts around a point p in an abstract manifold M, a form w can be written locally around p wrt each of the coordinate systems.

This is what Lee is doing here. The manifold is R², the form is the form w defined wrt to the global chart (x,y) by w=dxdy, and now he's saying that around almost any point, this form can be written locally wrt to polar coordinates as rdrdO.

Hmm yea, Thanks for the reply!

quasar987 said:
Note that F(r,O)=(rcosO,rsinO) is actually defined (at most) on (0,+\infty) x (0,2pi) in order for F to be a diffeomorphism. But clearly F is not the identity! The identity is Id(r,O)=(r,O).

Okay, now I'm confused. F sends a point to itself but does so by changing coordinates. If p:R^2->R^2 is the identity on M which gives global polar coordinates and c:R^2->R^2 is the identity on N which gives global Cartesian coordinates, then cp^(-1):R^2->R^2 is F itself since it sends (r,\theta) to (r cos\theta,r sin\theta). But this is a composition of identities so F is the identity.

(r,\theta) and (r cos\theta,r sin\theta)=(x,y) are the same point but just in different coordinate systems...

...I see now. Nevermind.

1. What could be causing the weird result on my forms?

There could be a few different factors at play. One possibility is that there is an error in the coding or programming of the form, which is causing the result to appear strange. Another possibility is that there is an issue with the data being input into the form, such as incorrect or incomplete information. It's also possible that there is a glitch or bug in the system that is causing the weird result. Further investigation and troubleshooting may be needed to determine the exact cause.

2. How can I fix the weird result on my forms?

The first step in fixing the weird result is to identify the cause. This may involve checking the coding of the form, reviewing the data being input, or testing for system glitches. Once the cause is identified, you can then make the necessary adjustments or corrections to the form to fix the issue. It may also be helpful to have a colleague or expert review the form to provide additional insight and potential solutions.

3. Is a weird result on forms a common issue?

Yes, weird results on forms can occur fairly frequently, especially if there are multiple steps involved in the form submission process. Even small errors in coding or data input can result in unexpected results. However, with proper testing and troubleshooting, these issues can usually be resolved.

4. How can I prevent weird results on forms in the future?

To prevent weird results on forms, it's important to thoroughly test and review the form before making it live. This includes checking for any coding errors, ensuring all necessary fields are included and functioning properly, and testing the form with different types of data. It may also be helpful to have a beta testing phase where a small group of users can test the form and provide feedback before it is released to the public.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can help with fixing weird results on forms?

Yes, there are various tools and resources available to help with troubleshooting and fixing weird results on forms. For example, there are code validators that can help identify any errors in the coding of the form. There are also online forums and communities where experts and fellow developers can offer advice and solutions for common form issues. Additionally, consulting with a professional web developer or programmer may be beneficial in resolving complex form issues.