Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird result on forms?

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    I know this may sounds silly but I am confused
    consider this two form for example, by substitution, I get
    [tex]\omega = dx \wedge dy = d(rCos\theta)\wedge d(rSin\theta) = r dr \wedge d\theta[/tex]

also consider this smooth map [tex]F(x,y)=(rCos\theta,rSin\theta)[/tex]

then [tex]F^{*}\omega = rdr \wedge d\theta[/tex]

which means that [tex]F^{*}\omega= \omega[/tex]!?, that's just weird.

I am reading John's Lee smooth manifold book. and I saw the substitution writing at the differential form chapter. and the pullback writing at the Covector field chapter.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you compute dxdy in polar coordinates, what you are doing is you're computing the pullback of dxdy by F-1. So of course when you then apply F* to the form in polar coordinates, you fall back on dxdy since you're computing

F* o (F-1)* dxdy = (F-1 o F)* dxdy = Id* dxdy = dxdy

Review the definitions if you need to.

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3
    In the case above, [tex]F:\mathbb R^2\to\mathbb R^2[/tex] would just be the identity function, right? Since it is just a coordinate transformation. The pullback of the identity function is the identity on forms, so the relation [tex]F^*\omega[/tex] is typical for coordinate transformations.

If [tex]F:(r,\theta)\mapsto (r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta),[/tex] which I'm suspecting he meant above, computing the form [tex]dx\wedge dy[/tex] in polar coordinates is the pullback by F itself, since the pullback is a contravariant functor. This is equal to the form itself since F is the identity but it is just expressed in a different coordinate system.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  5. Sep 4, 2011 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that F(r,O)=(rcosO,rsinO) is actually defined (at most) on (0,+\infty) x (0,2pi) in order for F to be a diffeomorphism. But clearly F is not the identity! The identity is Id(r,O)=(r,O).

6. Sep 4, 2011 #5
    Thank you for the post
    I understand that [tex] F^*[/tex] pull the form on x,y R^2 back to polar
    so the form would be expressed in polar R^2 as a pullback map acting on it
    [tex] F^* \omega [/tex]
    while this seems pretty good, I noticed Lee wrote in his later chapter, [tex]\omega = dx \wedge dy = r dr \wedge d \theta [/tex] kind of throw me off. Where is the pullback operator

or is it that he changes the coordinate chart instead of change the manifold the form is on?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  7. Sep 5, 2011 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's it... if (x^i), (y^i) are coordinate charts around a point p in an abstract manifold M, a form w can be written locally around p wrt each of the coordinate systems.

This is what Lee is doing here. The manifold is R², the form is the form w defined wrt to the global chart (x,y) by w=dxdy, and now he's saying that around almost any point, this form can be written locally wrt to polar coordinates as rdrdO.

8. Sep 6, 2011 #7
    Hmm yea, Thanks for the reply!

9. Sep 7, 2011 #8
    Okay, now I'm confused. F sends a point to itself but does so by changing coordinates. If p:R^2->R^2 is the identity on M which gives global polar coordinates and c:R^2->R^2 is the identity on N which gives global Cartesian coordinates, then cp^(-1):R^2->R^2 is F itself since it sends (r,\theta) to (r cos\theta,r sin\theta). But this is a composition of identities so F is the identity.

(r,\theta) and (r cos\theta,r sin\theta)=(x,y) are the same point but just in different coordinate systems...

10. Sep 7, 2011 #9
    ...I see now. Nevermind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook