Weird sat

What is the smallest integer greater than 1 that leaves a remainder of 1 when divided by any of the integers 6, 8, and 10?

the answer is 121... how do you do this problem?
 

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
735
1
You are looking for a number n such that n = 6a + 1 for some integer a. Similarly, you get two more equations, all equal to n. You can eliminate n from all of them, and you get two equations with three unknowns. The remaining freedom comes allows you to choose non-integers and also higher and higher integers, but you only take the smallest integer solution for n.
 
Can you explain how you got the equation?
 

NateTG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2,449
5
You're looking for the least common multiple of 6,8, and 10, and then you'll want to add one.

There are many methods for finding the least common multiple.
 

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
41,709
876
Saying that the number, x, has remainder 1 when divided by 6, 8, and 10 means x= 6i+ 1, x= 8j+ 1, and x= 10k+ 1 for some i, j, k. Putting those together, 6i+ 1= 8j+ 1= 10k+ 1. Subtract 1 from each part: 6i= 8j= 10k. Divide each part by 2: 3i= 4j= 5k. Since 3, 4, and 5 are mutually prime, the smallest values that will work are i= 4*5, j= 3*5 and k= 3*4: in other words, 6i= 8j= 10k= 6*20= 4*15= 5*12= 120 and so x= 6i+ 1= 8j+ 1= 10k+1= 121.
 
Originally posted by HallsofIvy
Saying that the number, x, has remainder 1 when divided by 6, 8, and 10 means x= 6i+ 1, x= 8j+ 1, and x= 10k+ 1 for some i, j, k. Putting those together, 6i+ 1= 8j+ 1= 10k+ 1. Subtract 1 from each part: 6i= 8j= 10k. Divide each part by 2: 3i= 4j= 5k. Since 3, 4, and 5 are mutually prime, the smallest values that will work are i= 4*5, j= 3*5 and k= 3*4: in other words, 6i= 8j= 10k= 6*20= 4*15= 5*12= 120 and so x= 6i+ 1= 8j+ 1= 10k+1= 121.
Since when did they teach this in middleschool? This seems soo hard, seems like Number theory or some crap...

Where can I go for more help?
 

NateTG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2,449
5
I know that lcm and gcf are covered in middle school, and that will get you the answer. (As I pointed out above.)

The horde of equations that Hurkyl used is more aptly described as basic algebra. (Although the exercise could certainly be described as a number theory problem.)
 
Originally posted by NateTG
I know that lcm and gcf are covered in middle school, and that will get you the answer. (As I pointed out above.)

The horde of equations that Hurkyl used is more aptly described as basic algebra. (Although the exercise could certainly be described as a number theory problem.)

I am not very good with number theories, because I don't deal much with those excercise:\
 

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
6,764
5
The problem is not actually high schol algebra because one of the constraints is that the answer contain only whole numbers, and there is no way to express that in high school algebra.

This is actually a question to pick out top performers. Some percentage of the top 1% of math brains will be able to figure out a procedure (something like what Hurkyl gave)to get an answer without knowing a general rule.
 

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
14,845
17
Blarg, this is the second time (that I've noticed) that HallsofIvy has been accused of being me!
 

NateTG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2,449
5
Originally posted by Hurkyl
Blarg, this is the second time (that I've noticed) that HallsofIvy has been accused of being me!
Mea Culpa.

I get confused b/c you two Newmans look alike.
 

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
41,709
876
One of us is being insulted!

(I'm just not sure which of us.)



Why the remark about "middle school"? Who said this was a middle school problem?
 

Related Threads for: Weird sat

  • Posted
Replies
5
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
4
Views
6K
  • Posted
Replies
14
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
11
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
4
Views
1K
  • Posted
Replies
3
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
3
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
8
Views
11K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top