What Force is Required to Hold Up a Partner on a Swinging Circle?

• Thread starter spidey12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force needed for a man hanging upside down to hold up his partner who is moving in a circle at a certain speed and radius. The correct formula to use is Fc=mv^2/r and the resulting force needed is not 160, as previously calculated, but rather the weight of the partner.
spidey12

Homework Statement

A man hanging upside down is holding a partner who weighs 565 N. Assume that the partner moves on a circle that has a radius of 6.50 m. At a swinging speed of 4.40 m/s, what force must the man apply to his partner in the straight-down position?

Homework Equations

I'm at a loss.

The Attempt at a Solution

but I am pretty sure that at the bottom of the circle the man holding up the other man must hold up a force=mg where m is the mass of the bottom partner. Therefore F=565.

Am I being asked the centripedial force?

I tried F(centripedal)= (525/9.8)*(4.4)2 and then divide that by the radius 6.5.

I got 160 which is not the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The upside-down man exerts an upward force towards the centre of the circle. The weight of his partner is downwards. The resultant of those 2 forces provides the centripetal force needed to make him move at that speed.

rock.freak667 said:
The upside-down man exerts an upward force towards the centre of the circle. The weight of his partner is downwards. The resultant of those 2 forces provides the centripetal force needed to make him move at that speed.

I keep getting 160 :(

Fc=mv2/r

Is that not correct?

spidey12 said:
I keep getting 160 :(

Fc=mv2/r

Is that not correct?

Ok. I solved it. Thanks to the one person who helped me.

What is the "Weird Satellite Problem"?

The "Weird Satellite Problem" refers to a phenomenon in which satellites in orbit around Earth experience unexpected changes in their orbits, causing them to deviate from their intended paths. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as atmospheric drag, solar radiation pressure, and gravitational effects from other objects in space.

What are the potential consequences of the "Weird Satellite Problem"?

The consequences of the "Weird Satellite Problem" can range from minor disruptions to major failures in satellite operations. If a satellite deviates too far from its intended orbit, it may lose communication with Earth, rendering it useless. This can have serious implications for industries that rely on satellite technology, such as telecommunications, weather forecasting, and navigation.

What causes the "Weird Satellite Problem"?

There is no one specific cause of the "Weird Satellite Problem". It can be caused by a combination of factors, including external forces from Earth's atmosphere and other objects in space, as well as internal factors such as malfunctions or errors in satellite systems. The exact cause of the problem may vary in each individual case.

How do scientists monitor and address the "Weird Satellite Problem"?

Scientists and engineers use a variety of methods to monitor and address the "Weird Satellite Problem". This includes tracking the satellite's orbit and movement, analyzing data from sensors on the satellite, and making adjustments to the satellite's trajectory or systems. Additionally, satellite operators often have contingency plans in place to deal with unexpected orbit changes.

Can the "Weird Satellite Problem" be completely prevented?

It is difficult to completely prevent the "Weird Satellite Problem" due to the complex and unpredictable nature of space. However, advances in technology and better understanding of the factors that contribute to the problem have helped to minimize its occurrence. Scientists continue to study and develop solutions to mitigate the effects of the "Weird Satellite Problem" on satellite operations.