1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird satillite problem

1. Jul 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A man hanging upside down is holding a partner who weighs 565 N. Assume that the partner moves on a circle that has a radius of 6.50 m. At a swinging speed of 4.40 m/s, what force must the man apply to his partner in the straight-down position?

2. Relevant equations

I'm at a loss.

3. The attempt at a solution

but I am pretty sure that at the bottom of the circle the man holding up the other man must hold up a force=mg where m is the mass of the bottom partner. Therefore F=565.

Am I being asked the centripedial force?

I tried F(centripedal)= (525/9.8)*(4.4)2 and then divide that by the radius 6.5.

I got 160 which is not the correct answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The upside-down man exerts an upward force towards the centre of the circle. The weight of his partner is downwards. The resultant of those 2 forces provides the centripetal force needed to make him move at that speed.

4. Jul 10, 2008 #3
    I keep getting 160 :(

Fc=mv2/r

Is that not correct?

5. Jul 10, 2008 #4
    Ok. I solved it. Thanks to the one person who helped me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?