Weird Stuff: Controversy and Deletion on a Discussion about Statistics

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a thread that was created and potentially deleted on the topic of probability and certainty in mathematics. The original poster questions why the thread was deleted and asks for clarification from the moderators. The conversation then shifts to a discussion about the role of certainty in probability and whether it has real-world applications. The original poster eventually asks for the conversation to be closed as no one has a clear answer. A link to the cached version of the deleted thread is provided.
Schrodinger's Dog
[SOLVED] weird stuff?

Ok this is going to sound weird but who have I offended with a thread about statistics? Yesterday I outlined a discussion about statistics, where I had a different opinion from two other people, maths minor and engineering major about certainty and whether it is of any use in applied probability/statistics, I said yes it was, temperature and the Schrodinger equation demonstrate that even in the quantum and classical world it is possible to find certainty and in pure maths using limits it obviously is.

Now I realize I probably put it in the wrong forum and it was moved, but then when it got no interest: fair enough - people don't have to post about anything. Ok I thought not a subject of interest to anyone so asked for it be closed, and instead the mods deleted it?

Now I may sound paranoid, but it sounds to me that that thread upset someone, so much so that they deleted it? If that's the case explain why, if not can someone put it back and just close it? As there's nothing intrinsically evil about it as far as I can see? :smile: And you never know someone might pm me an answer. By the way the argument still rages, but they refuse to accept that prob/stat deals with certainty in any but trivial ways. Stubborn as mules. :smile: Or I and a physics grad are just dead wrong. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you saying that a thread you created yesterday was deleted? (I don't see evidence of this.)

Was it a thread titled "Probability and certainty", posted in Number Theory? (Which you had asked to have closed, for some reason.) Looks like someone might have hard-deleted it.

Doc Al said:
Was it a thread titled "Probability and certainty", posted in Number Theory? (Which you had asked to have closed, for some reason.) Looks like someone might have hard-deleted it.

Yep I'm just wondering why? I never asked them to do that, I just asked if they would close it as there was no interest? So :confused:

Beats me. Probably someone just deleted it by mistake. (We rarely hard-delete threads.) Or misinterpreted your request to close the thread as a request to delete the thread. (Why would we close a thread? Just let it die on the vine, like all the others.)

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
Beats me. Probably someone just deleted it by mistake. (We rarely hard-delete threads.) Or misinterpreted your request to close the thread as a request to delete the thread. (Why would we close a thread? Just let it die on the vine, like all the others.)

That's what I mean, I expected to come back and find it wasting away or closed, but hard deleted? It was like I dreamt it? :smile:

Anyway I presume that thread is now lost forever?

I didn't do it! You can still find it cached on Google.

I am currently having a discussion about whether statistical maths, set theory and number theory included can be used to model certainty, or if they are part of probability maths.

Anyway it all came from this statement and sort of mushroomed, when I pointed out it can in some cases indeed give certainties, but that usually they were trivial.

Statistics and probability (and game theory) is a field of mathematics I think. They cannot give you any certainties but they can tell you what is the most likely.

I say that the Schrödinger equation that models the hydrogen spectrum is one example of probability maths being used to model certainty, no? But is this a fair statement? they say that it cannot be used to model anything except in really trivial terms, such as a double headed coin coming up heads, if landing on it's side is an invalid toss, and so is no use to anything, thus it does not exist.

See I tried explaining limits to them with a simple example.

Godwyn's Law: as a thread continues the chances of an inappropriate analogy of the Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.

If I were to say with the limit of infinity the above proviso=1 then that would be a method of showing probability in maths that had certainty? So I maintain that certainty and by extension 0:1 are as essential to probability as the number 0 is to the Real number system.

They say P-maths has nothing to do with certainty in the real world. or 1:1? Am I right or are they? They already concede that in number theory that isn't true but what about statistical maths? Does certainty have any place in the real world, or is it an abstract concept with no application to the statistician?

Do not follow where the path may lead.. go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.Anon

Right? Ok I'll ask a mod to close this, as obviously no one has an opinion. Thanks anyways.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:ztmzZY13RHQJ:www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php%3Fp%3D1705088+Probability+and+certainty+www.physicsforums.com+Schrodinger%27s+Dog&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Smashing well that's all sorted then. Besides I think the answer is kind of self evident anyway, and they're just being dense, but an expert opinion would of been nice. :biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of this discussion about statistics?

The purpose of this discussion is to explore controversial or strange statistical findings or ideas, and to analyze the reasons for their deletion or exclusion from mainstream scientific discourse.

2. What kind of "weird stuff" is typically discussed in this context?

Topics that are considered "weird stuff" in this context may include unconventional statistical methods, anomalous data, disputed results, or theories that challenge established scientific beliefs or norms.

3. Why is there controversy or debate surrounding these topics?

There may be controversy or debate surrounding these topics because they often challenge traditional scientific thinking and may lack sufficient evidence or support from the scientific community.

4. Who participates in these discussions about "weird stuff"?

These discussions may involve scientists, researchers, statisticians, and other experts in the field, as well as members of the general public who are interested in the topic.

5. How can these discussions contribute to the field of statistics?

These discussions can contribute to the field of statistics by encouraging critical thinking and open-mindedness, as well as by promoting the examination and evaluation of unconventional ideas and approaches. They may also lead to further research and discovery in the field.