1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird Superposition Question

1. Nov 10, 2005 #1
    Hello! I'm new here, and this is my first post. I hope I have not breached any rules, but here's a rather strange (in my limited intelligence) question I encountered. I shall try to explain the question because I am unable to reproduce the diagram.

Two identical narrow slits S1 and S2 are illuminated by light of wavelength (lambda) from a point source P.

[diagram = So, P (on the left) is connected to the line marked S1 and S2 by two lines l1 and l2. l1 is longer than l2. A point Q on the right of the line S1S2 is connected to S1 by l3 and S2 by l4, l3being longer than l4]

The light is allowed to fall on a screen (at Q), and if m is a positive integer, the condition for destructive interference at Q is that...

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Crap, I just realised this is in the wrong thread... I really apologise for bungling up my first post and the inconvenience I have caused.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2005 #2
    Show us what you have tried already. Remember, for destructive interference the path difference must be equal to 1/2 or 3/2 or 5/2 or 7/2 etc wavelengths.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?