Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird thing with water

1. Jan 16, 2004 #1
    Got a question about something that happened to me today, hoping someone might have an answer that might explain it. I went to get a bottle of water from the fridge that is out in our porch where there is no insulation from the outside. In New England it is very cold about -5F today. I opened the bottle of water (poland spring) then put the cap back on shook it and it imediatly froze to a slush. Now I have seen this type of behavior in super saturated liquids, when something is placed or dropped it immediatly forms solids, but of course I don't believe this has anything to do with it. I don't believe the bottles are pressurized for safety measures. It just seemed really weird can anyone give a remote explaination of what occured I ahvegone through several physics classes and one chemistry class but never heard r seen this done.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Water was 'super-cooled'. When water cools below O C, or 32 F (actually a bit lower because of dissolved salts), but there are no nucleation points, then the ice crystals do not form. Similarly, it is possible to create super-heated water that is hotter than boiling, but is still which will explode into boiling when stimulated.

Shaking the bottle creates local spikes and troughs in pressure that facilitate the formation of ice.

For carbonated water there is an additional factor that as the bubbles escape, the freezing point of the water rises.
  4. Jan 19, 2004 #3
    i had a bottle of pop do that a week ago, thanx boggled me too
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?