1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird Trig Graph Question

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    "The period of function f is 5. If f(1)= 4, f(2)= 5, and f(4)= -2, what is the value of f(7)?"

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with function f(x) as a periodic function when a number p>0 exists, such that for all x in the domain of f, f(x + p) = f(x). I don't understand how this works. Maybe for the first one it sort of makes sense, but the rest of them don't follow the same pattern. I really appreciate any help I could get on this. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2

minger

Science Advisor

From what I can tell, it's a simple problem trying to get you to think about what a period is. Just think, what happens in one period of a repetitive function. Also another hint:
    sin 0 = ?
    sin 2pi = ?
    sin 4pi = ?

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Along the lines of what Minger said, think about what the definition of "period" is. It is the "time" it takes your function to complete 1 full cycle. So, if the period is 5, that means you can say it has 5 points in it and then it REPEATS. If points 1-5 are the first cycle and then it REPEATS, what can you say about point #7?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?