Meet the New Moderator: Who is Greg and What Are His Qualifications?

In summary, Russ is a mechanical engineer with some aerospace background and a computer science/engineering hobby. He is an advisor at PF and was promoted to mentor of the technology forum. He is currently a Senior at University of Maryland, College Park, in the aerospace engineering space track. He has worked as a drafter in a MEPR firm for the last three years and quit (for the last time, hopefully) to take classes full-time. He hasn't decided whether he wants to go to work or grad school next year. He is interested in working on planetary exploration missions or space-based industry and manufacturing.
russ_watters
Mentor
Figured this forum was as good as any for making a formal introduction since I'm a mechanical engineer with some aerospace background and a computer science/engineering hobby.

I'm happy Greg gave me the opportunity to moderate this forum. Its something I've never done before but always had an interest in trying my hand at.

Anyway, a little background about me. I'm 27 and work in a tiny engineering firm in suburban Philadelphia designing building HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) and other related building systems. I spent a little time in the Navy and went to Drexel University in Philly.

I use my real name most of the time largely because I think anonymity is a myth anyway (so you can ask me just about anything) and partly because I'm too lazy/uncreative to think of a good nicname.

I'm easygoing - its extremely difficult to offend or annoy me, but I do have a few pet peves I'll mention when they come up. But I won't be a heavy-handed moderator.

Anyway, welcome to my world. :smile:

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Originally posted by russ_watters
I'm easygoing - its extremely difficult to offend or annoy me, but I do have a few pet peves I'll mention when they come up. But I won't be a heavy-handed moderator.
OOOOO00000oooo... THAT'S SCAAAAaaaarrry...

Congrats Russ ! :smile:

Congratulations, Russ !

The entire forum changed quite a bit since yesterday. It will be fun to see how the new sections play out.

I figure I'll piggyback Russ's introductions thread, considering we're almost opposites yet very similar in work history

For those who don't know me:

I have been an advisor at PF for a little over a year (which basically means I throw my $.02 around without any real responsibility :wink:), and was promoted to mentor of the technology forum a few weeks ago. When the engineering forums were announced to the staff, I jumped at the opportunity to switch.

I'm currently a Senior at University of Maryland, College Park, in the aerospace engineering space track. I've worked as a drafter in a MEPR firm for the last three years, and quit (for the last time, hopefully) to take classes full-time.

Basically, that means that I know a little bit more about the realities of space systems than a space enthusiast, but not as much as someone in the field.

I haven't decided whether I want to go to work or grad school next year, but I do know I want to work either on planetary exploration missions or space-based industry and manufacturing.

Like Russ, it's difficult to offend me, but I can get annoyed when threads get deliberately derailed, or insults and flames start flying. I don't forsee it to be a problem, since engineering isn't exactly a politics forum.

What is the purpose of this forum?

The purpose of this forum is to introduce Greg, a new moderator who is a mechanical engineer and a Drexel University alum. This forum will also serve as a space for discussions related to engineering and Drexel University.

What qualifications does Greg have as a moderator?

Greg is a mechanical engineer with a degree from Drexel University. He also has experience in moderating online forums and a strong understanding of engineering principles.

What topics will be discussed in this forum?

This forum will primarily focus on discussions related to engineering, such as new technologies, industry trends, and career advice. However, discussions related to Drexel University and its engineering program will also be welcome.

Can anyone join this forum?

Yes, this forum is open to anyone who is interested in engineering or Drexel University. We encourage active participation and respectful discussions from all members.

How can I become a moderator for this forum?

If you are interested in becoming a moderator for this forum, please reach out to the current moderators and express your interest. We are always looking for dedicated and knowledgeable individuals to join our team.