1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Welding heat input

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    In a welding process,i am welding two plates. The welding current is 110A and welding voltage is 20V. Suppose 100% of this electric energy is
    converted to heat then the heat energy generated is 110x20. i.e., 2.2KJ/sec.
    Suppose the length of the plate is 2 metres, How can i calculate what is the heat input into the welded joint at each point? I have one more data
    that welding speed is 1metre/minute.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(assuming no losses) power generated / welding speed = heat input per unit length

4. Jun 15, 2005 #3
    if the welder weld faster then heat will be less thereby producing a good
    less,residual stress weld?

5. Jun 15, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Perhaps. Any weld is going to create stresses. The increased speed would have to be balanced by the fact that a certain percentage of the weld penetration would be sacrificed. Most welds are stress relieved after the process.

6. Jun 15, 2005 #5

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, if you require the weld to penetrate (well, you usually do) I think you can't really gain much residual stress wise by decreasing heat input (material properties are a different matter of course). Typically heat input affects the residual stress gradient at line of fusion towards the base material, where there is a square root dependency between the yielded zone and arc power, which again has a linear relationship with the extension of the residual stress field - but this leaves the weld metal residual stresses still as is, higher arc powers widen the volume under residual stresses. Would go with post-weld heat treatment.

7. Jun 15, 2005 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Power beam welding processes (e-beam, laser welding) tend to be better in applications where residual stress is a concern. The power density is much higher, although the net heat input is often lower than electric arc welding techniques. As a result, the heat affected zone tends to be a lot smaller. (Pretty much what Perennial said...). I don't think a simple increase of welding speed is going to solve any problems.

8. Jun 10, 2010 #7
    Hello, How to input heat source in welding simulation ( ANSYS ).By heat flux or heat genaration or heat flow etc..........?.How to calculate if effic=60%,V=16, I=80,weld speed=1 m/min.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook