Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Welding heat input

1. Jun 15, 2005 #1
    In a welding process,i am welding two plates. The welding current is 110A and welding voltage is 20V. Suppose 100% of this electric energy is
    converted to heat then the heat energy generated is 110x20. i.e., 2.2KJ/sec.
    Suppose the length of the plate is 2 metres, How can i calculate what is the heat input into the welded joint at each point? I have one more data
    that welding speed is 1metre/minute.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(assuming no losses) power generated / welding speed = heat input per unit length
  4. Jun 15, 2005 #3
    if the welder weld faster then heat will be less thereby producing a good
    less,residual stress weld?
  5. Jun 15, 2005 #4

Science Advisor

Perhaps. Any weld is going to create stresses. The increased speed would have to be balanced by the fact that a certain percentage of the weld penetration would be sacrificed. Most welds are stress relieved after the process.
  6. Jun 15, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, if you require the weld to penetrate (well, you usually do) I think you can't really gain much residual stress wise by decreasing heat input (material properties are a different matter of course). Typically heat input affects the residual stress gradient at line of fusion towards the base material, where there is a square root dependency between the yielded zone and arc power, which again has a linear relationship with the extension of the residual stress field - but this leaves the weld metal residual stresses still as is, higher arc powers widen the volume under residual stresses. Would go with post-weld heat treatment.
  7. Jun 15, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Power beam welding processes (e-beam, laser welding) tend to be better in applications where residual stress is a concern. The power density is much higher, although the net heat input is often lower than electric arc welding techniques. As a result, the heat affected zone tends to be a lot smaller. (Pretty much what Perennial said...). I don't think a simple increase of welding speed is going to solve any problems.
  8. Jun 10, 2010 #7
    Hello, How to input heat source in welding simulation ( ANSYS ).By heat flux or heat genaration or heat flow etc..........?.How to calculate if effic=60%,V=16, I=80,weld speed=1 m/min.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?