1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Well, here it goes!

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1
    I have decided to take the plunge. I am going back to college after 2 years out of school to resume work on my BS in Mechanical Engineering. I had to leave college during my 2nd year due to financial concerns and since then have been working full time. I plan to keep working full time during my studies.

I'll be attending a local community college taking chemistry and college trigonometry then will jump into calculus.

What do you guys think? Is obtaining this degree possible while working a 40 hour/week job? I'm planning to take 2 maybe 3 classes at a time (school is quarter based). Any advice or success stories are greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Williams -

Yes, it's possible, but you have to be very determined. I got my BS in physics going part-time - 9-1/2 years. Some of the time I worked full-time, but most of the time it was 30 to 35 hours a week. There was absolutely no time for any sort of social life :cry: !

If possible, only take one lab class per term - labs really eat up time.

Also, it really helps if your employer is somewhat flexible. There will be times when your assignments take a lot longer than you planned, so if you can adjust your schedule on a moment's notice it's a huge help.

Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?