1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Well - not good.

1. Nov 28, 2008 #1
    Well -- not good.

Hear me out: Studying physics in Canada, in my second year, almost finished the semester, and my marks are ****. I've hovered around class average (a range from D to C+) in most of my classes since year one and I don't feel like I can improve - rather it seems like the subjects are becoming more and more difficult and my marks are progressively getting lower and lower as a result. So the thing they (people) told me about school getting easier after first year turned out to be horse manure in my case, unfortunately. I was hoping to have a high enough mark by the end of school so as to at least keep the option of a master's degree open. I'm losing motivation to study, and fast, since it seems like no matter how much I study, I get rewarded with C's or D's on tests. That's basically it. Thanks for reading my little story. Ideas? Advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: Well -- not good.

I'm not sure who "they" are, but whoever told you things got easier after first year failed to recognize a distinct pattern of school getting progressively more challenging with each year of advancement right from kindergarten all the way up the senior high school. It could be argued perhaps that in second year you've adapted to university life more, you've got the hardcore partying out of your system, and maybe you've lightened your course load and limited your extra-cirricular activities - but the key word here is "adapted."

It's not uncommon to run into the wall in first or second year university. Lots of people hit it because high school wasn't that much of a challenge - you could coast by with minimal effort. But in university you really need to hit the books hard and eficiently.

At this point it sounds like you really need to take a hard look at you chosen field. Do you really want to pursue it? And you also have to have an honest conversation with yourself and decide if you feel you're capable of being successfully pursuing it. If so, then you need to take a hard look at your study habits and figure out how to improve them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?