Well-Ordering Principle on Natural Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof and post using the well-ordering principle to prove that if n is a natural number, then n is greater than or equal to 0. The proof uses the fact that the set of natural numbers is a subset of itself and has a least member. The conversation also includes a question about formatting text using the {itex} and {tex} commands.
Klungo
This is my first proof and post. I'll eventually get better at tex.

Homework Statement

If [itex] n \in N[/itex], then [itex]n ≥ 0[/itex].

Hint: [itex]N \subset N[/itex] (thus not any empty set) and has least member by the well-ordering principle.

2. Relevant

(i) [itex]0 \subset N[/itex]

(ii) [itex]n+1 \in N[/itex] for all [itex] n \in N[/itex]

(iii) [itex]n-1 \in N [/itex]for all [itex] n \in N [/itex]such that n≠0

(iv) The well-ordering principle itself.

The Attempt at a Solution

As the hint suggests, I am supposed to prove this using the well-ordering principle.

[itex]n-1 \in N[/itex] for all [itex] n \in N[/itex] such that n≠0. [itex] N \subset N[/itex] so N≠∅ and has a least member by well-ordering principle.

I used (iii) [itex] n-1 \in N [/itex] for all n in N such that n≠0. But

[itex](n=0) \in N[/itex] and [itex]-1 \notin N[/itex]. Hence, [itex] -1<n → 0≤n[/itex]

I'm not sure if this is right though.

Additionally, is there any way to write text inbetween {itex} text {/itex} such that notations appear in addition to original text?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your proof and post. It's great to see that you are using the well-ordering principle to prove this statement.

Your proof looks good so far. I just have a few suggestions for clarification.

Firstly, when you use the notation "n-1 \in N for all n \in N such that n≠0," it would be helpful to explicitly state that n is a natural number. So the statement would be "for all n \in N such that n≠0, n-1 \in N." This makes it clear that you are only considering natural numbers.

Secondly, to address your concern about -1 \notin N, you can simply state that n-1 \in N for all n \in N such that n>0. This way, you are only considering natural numbers greater than 0, and the statement holds true for all of them.

Finally, to answer your question about writing text in between {itex} text {/itex}, you can use the {itex} command to indicate that the text inside is in italics. For example, if you wanted to write "This is an example," you would write {itex}This is an example{/itex}, and it would appear as "This is an example." Alternatively, you can use the {tex} command to indicate that the text inside is in standard font. For example, if you wanted to write "This is an example," you would write {tex}This is an example{/tex}, and it would appear as "This is an example."

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work with your proofs and posts! As you continue to practice, you will definitely get better at using tex.

1. What is the Well-Ordering Principle on Natural Numbers?

The Well-Ordering Principle on Natural Numbers is a mathematical concept that states every non-empty set of natural numbers has a least element. In simpler terms, it means that for any set of natural numbers, there will always be a smallest number in that set.

2. Why is the Well-Ordering Principle important?

The Well-Ordering Principle plays a crucial role in mathematical proofs and the foundations of number theory. It allows us to make statements about the existence of a smallest element in a set of natural numbers, which can be useful in solving problems related to sequences, series, and other mathematical concepts.

3. How is the Well-Ordering Principle proven?

The Well-Ordering Principle is usually proven by assuming the opposite, known as the principle of mathematical induction. This assumption leads to a contradiction, thus proving the Well-Ordering Principle to be true. Other proofs may involve the use of Peano's axioms or the principle of strong induction.

4. Can the Well-Ordering Principle be applied to sets other than natural numbers?

Yes, the Well-Ordering Principle can be extended to other well-ordered sets, such as the integers, rational numbers, and even some infinite sets. However, it cannot be applied to all sets, as there are some sets that do not have a least element, such as the set of real numbers.

5. Is the Well-Ordering Principle equivalent to the principle of mathematical induction?

No, the Well-Ordering Principle and the principle of mathematical induction are not equivalent. While the Well-Ordering Principle is used to prove the principle of mathematical induction, the converse is not necessarily true. In other words, the Well-Ordering Principle is a more general concept than the principle of mathematical induction.