Using the Well-Ordering Principle to Prove Primality and Factorization

• Thread starter skeough15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, the well-ordering principle states that every nonempty subset of natural numbers has a minimum. Applying this principle to the concept of prime factorization, we can show that every number greater than 1 is either a prime itself or the product of prime numbers. This is proven by assuming the existence of an element without prime factorization, and using the well-ordering principle to show that this leads to a contradiction in both cases where the minimum element is either prime or composite. Therefore, the theorem holds true.
skeough15

Homework Statement

Use the well-ordering principle to show that every number greater than
1 is either a prime itself, or is the product of prime numbers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am sure this question isn't all that hard, I just don't have any idea what the well-ordering principle is. I know it's something to do with a smallest such number in a set... but I don't know how that would help here. If I assume that this is a set of numbers.. then the set S must have a smallest number. I don't know how that helps me in this case though.

Physics news on Phys.org
The well-ordering principle says that "if S is a nonempty subset of N, then S has a minimum".

How does this help in this case?
Assume that there is an element without prime factorization. Let S be the set of such elements, then S is not empty. Thus S has a minimum a. There are 2 possibilities: a is prime or a is not prime. Show that every possibility leads to a contradiction...

Oh I see, thank you.
1) So if a is such a minimum, and a is not prime, then a must be composite. If a is composite it can be written as the factors of integers r and s such that r and s are greater than 1. If r and s are greater than 1 than r or s is less than a, but a is the smallest number in our set. Contradiction.
2) If a is prime, then the theorem is true because a is either prime or the product of prime factors.

bingo! :smile:

What is the well-ordering principle?

The well-ordering principle is a mathematical concept that states that every non-empty set of positive integers has a least element. This means that in any set of positive integers, there will always be a smallest number.

How is the well-ordering principle used in mathematics?

The well-ordering principle is used in various areas of mathematics, such as number theory, set theory, and proof writing. It is often used to prove the existence of certain mathematical objects, such as the greatest common divisor of two integers or the existence of a solution to a mathematical equation.

What is the difference between the well-ordering principle and the principle of induction?

The well-ordering principle and the principle of induction are closely related, but they are not the same concept. The well-ordering principle states that every non-empty set of positive integers has a least element, while the principle of induction is a method of proof that uses the well-ordering principle to prove statements about all positive integers.

How was the well-ordering principle discovered?

The well-ordering principle was first stated and proved by German mathematician Ernst Zermelo in 1904 as part of his work on set theory. However, the concept had been used by mathematicians for centuries before then, and Zermelo's proof was later refined and expanded upon by other mathematicians.

Can the well-ordering principle be applied to sets other than positive integers?

Yes, the well-ordering principle can be applied to any non-empty set that has a well-defined ordering. This means that it can be used for sets of real numbers, complex numbers, or even abstract mathematical objects like functions or matrices.