First Semester Results: 2 Passes, 2 Fails

• Thread starter morry
  • Start date
In summary: I dont know. Im panicking now. If I cant get through this and Im not interested in engineering, what am I going to do? "Ive got a...I dont know. Im panicking now."
morry
So I got my first semester results today. 2 passes, 2 fails. :(

Just a little background, this is my 3rd yr out from school, but I am still doing 2nd year subjects, even got a first yr subject to do.

This year was the year I was meant to lift my game and get some good marks. Maybe good enough to get some work experience. Hah, fat chance now.

Also, one of my fails was the second time I failed maths. Dont ask me how I did this, I thought I was going great guns. I got 45, which is close, but it doesn't matter if you get 49 or 0. Its still a fail.

If I hadnt failed a lot in the past, this sem wouldn't be worrying me. But I feel pretty shattered right now. I am questioning my desire to become an engineer and I am wondering, even if somehow I do manage to graduate, will anyone want someone whos taken 6-7 years to get a 4 yr degree? Thats assuming I don't get kicked out of uni.

Has anyone else here been in a similar situation, or got some useful advice?

Thanks for reading. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for me I started my degree in January of 02 and won't finish until December of 07, so that's 6 years for my undergrad! I haven't had any failed courses and it will still take me that long... so, fwiw, I don't think that 7 years is THAT bad.

Best of luck. Honestly, this may not be your bag and that is ok. Math and Physics are not for everyone, I'm not that great myself but I've managed to do well somehow. So, if you are really determined, great, keep trying and work harder. But, if you do end up going a different route that doesn't make you a failure, it just means this wasn't your thing. I'll be damned if I can remember any history for instance, and I hate polysci, my boyfriend is great with those things but doesn't excel in higher level math. No big deal, we all have our niche, college is about finding it!

Good luck:)
-A

Gday amb.

Yeah, thinking it may not be my thing is what worries me. I am not interested in any other subjects. :D

I hate english and history etc, maths is (usually :D) what I am good at. If I wasnt doing engineering, I have no idea what else Id do. I am still interested in cars, planes etc, but I just find undergrad a bit boring.

Im at a loss for what to do really. :(

"...but I just find undergrad a bit boring."

Do you think it isn't tough enough for you, just mostly busy work? Maybe its the program/school, not engineering/math. I flunked out of high school, I was bored, couldn't see the point in attending. I tend to do poorly with busy work as well so I can understand if that is the problem for you.

I don't know, though. If you are good with hands on, just not great with textbooks, maybe like you say just try to get through it. Work harder on it, as I understand it engineering is a field where those who like hands-on thrive! What are you studying, which engineering?

If math is usually your thing what do you think happend? What math course was it? Some math is different than others (for instance, I did well with calculus without a lot of effort, but I really struggled for an A in Linear Algebra and I barely got it!)

My boyfriend, who hated upper level math like diff eq and flunked out of it, got his degree in computer science. He programs for fun in his free time, really loves computers and is genuinely good with them and able to figure (almost- all that I've seen) any problem out.

Don't fret, just think it over, decide what you really plan to do with this degree. You'll get it if you're motivated to do it... And, look at other options and see if they may seem more appealing. Doesn't necessarily need to be polysci:)

-A

Last edited:
Well its probably not too easy. Its a challenge, which is good, there is also a lot of work to do as well.

I am hopeless with my hands, Id never make a tradesman :D. I am studying mech eng by the way.

The maths I failed this semester was a combination of linear alg, prob and stats and linear programming and series etc. It was the second time I've done it and I didnt find it hard at all. Which is why I am frustrated that I failed. I found all the weekly assignments to be easy and I thought I did ok with the exam.

Ive got a couple of weeks before I need to be back at uni, so I am going to have a long hard think about what to do. Although at the moment, I see no other options.

"The maths I failed this semester was a combination of linear alg, prob and stats and linear programming and series etc. It was the second time I've done it and I didnt find it hard at all. Which is why I am frustrated that I failed. I found all the weekly assignments to be easy and I thought I did ok with the exam. "

Have you spoken with the instructor? I'm sure you had more than one exam, and hopefully you received results during the semester that gave you an indication of your knowledge and your grade going into the final, is that the case? I've never gotten a grade I wasn't expecting (well, once, but it was a B instead of an A, not a failure instead of an A,B.) I am not sure I see how you thought you were doing fine and failed the course, is the grading curve that steep (in the wrong direction), are you graded against your peers?

-A

I have found I cannot gauge how I go these days. Perhaps its some conspiracy against me. :D

We basically had a weekly test each week, I managed to get decent marks for those. And I got good marks for the two major assignments. When I walked out of the exam I was confident of a pass. Not a good mark, but enough to pass.

Im going to try and see if I can get hold of my exam paper to see where I went wrong. Hopefully it can be a learning experience.

1. What do the results of "2 Passes, 2 Fails" for the first semester mean?

The results indicate that out of the total four subjects taken in the first semester, the student has passed in two subjects and failed in two subjects.

2. How will these results affect the student's academic progress?

The results will affect the student's academic progress by lowering their overall GPA and possibly requiring them to retake the failed subjects in order to progress to the next semester.

3. What could be the reasons for achieving only a 50% pass rate in the first semester?

There could be various reasons for this, such as inadequate study habits, difficulty with the subjects, or personal issues impacting the student's performance. Further analysis of the individual subjects and the student's approach to studying may provide more insight.

4. Can the student still improve their results in the next semester?

Yes, the student has the opportunity to improve their results in the next semester by focusing on their weak subjects and implementing better study strategies. They can also seek help from their teachers or tutors to better understand the material.

5. How can the student bounce back from this setback?

The student can bounce back from this setback by acknowledging their mistakes and working towards improving their academic performance. This could include seeking academic support, managing their time effectively, and setting realistic goals. It's important for the student to stay motivated and not let this setback discourage them from achieving their academic goals.