1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Well written research articles

1. Dec 12, 2007 #1
    Would anyone happen to know of any research/technical papers that are well written and ideal to look over to prepare for ones thesis?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

your question is too general.

4. Dec 12, 2007 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If they were poorly written, would they even get published?

5. Dec 12, 2007 #4
    Yes. Unfortunately, there are many poorly written papers that get published.

6. Dec 12, 2007 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I heard lots of good ones get rejected too though.

I don't know much about journals and such, but usually it sounds messed up and unethical.

7. Dec 12, 2007 #6
    Ahaha - not what I was epecting.

Where can I find examples of well written research content - where its the diction alone that made you jump out of your chair and say

- "I say, this document right here has reinstated my faith in acadamia "

I'm not really looking for content but well written material and presented at a standard that is above that which is noramally accepted. Surely all of you have come accross something like this.

Personally I enjoyed the writting style held by Jack Ganssle who authored The art of Designing Embedded Systems , or Horrowitz when he's not trying to be informal in his writting style (remember transistor man in the Art of Electronics?)

And help?

8. Dec 13, 2007 #7

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question is still too genereal. A short paper in Science is very different from a 4 page letter in PRL which is very different from a 10 pager paper in PRB which in turn is different from a book (or a thesis). Even if all of these are written by the same people and is about the same topic.
    Which "style" you use depends on the journal, partly because there are usually very strict space restrictions (i.e. a letter can be no more than 4 pages long) meaning you tend to end up spending a LOT of time "optimizing" the text in order to get all the information in there; this obviously affects readability.
    Hence, writting a thesis is VERY different from writing a short paper and the styles will (and should) -in general- be very different.
    E.g. most people like the Feynman's Lectures but the style they are written in style would never be accepted in a journal and it wouldn't really be suitable for a thesis or even an "ordinary" book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?