Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

We're back, and I have news!

1. Aug 20, 2006 #1
    Alright! PF is back online. I've missed it alot the last few days, not in the least because I have new to share : I've handed in my Master's thesis!

After living like a hermit the last few weeks finishing it, I can finally step into the sun (or rain, as the Belgian weather would have it) again and enjoy the fresh (if somewhat damp) air.

Now all that's left is the defence in a few weeks! :biggrin:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2006 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congratulations on finishing the write-up, and good luck with the defence!
  4. Aug 20, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

Congratulations Dimitri!

Now relax in preparation for your defense.

Best wishes for a successful defense!
  5. Aug 20, 2006 #4
    Yes good luck!, Feriens Tego.
  6. Aug 20, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats!!!! The worst is now over. The defense is easy to prepare once you've done all the writing.
  7. Aug 20, 2006 #6
    Ah, the 18th has come and gone by.

Good luck!
  8. Aug 20, 2006 #7
    good luck man, i am sure you'll do a great job for the defense...

Grootste onderscheiding toch huh...:wink:

9. Aug 20, 2006 #8
    Dat zit erin, zit nu met een gemiddelde van 17.85, dus als mijn paar examens die ik nog moet doen in 2e zit deftig zijn en de thesis goed is...

Thanks everyone for the congrats. I'm not worried about the defense. I know the committee members well and I've been told that I am a good public speaker. The worst is now indeed over.
  10. Aug 20, 2006 #9
    Awesome! Congrats!
  11. Aug 20, 2006 #10

Gold Member

If your radio appearance a few months ago was a proper indicator, you should have no problem at all with the verbal aspect of it. Congrats.
  12. Aug 20, 2006 #11
    And this time I will have had enough sleep and I won't be hung over! Presumably...
  13. Aug 20, 2006 #12

Gold Member

14. Aug 20, 2006 #13

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Bravo, Dimitri!

Do you get the same promoter/advisor for PhD thesis?
    Have you lined up anyone new or gotten notions about topic?
    Just curious. Maybe it is too early.

A friend of mine who is now postdoc here in US recently flew back to Finnland to do his PhD Defense, which turned out to be a big formal occasion, where everybody had good manners like it was 1906 and he
    wore black tie with TAILS on the tuxedo. They really are upholding the tradition.

maybe in Belgium it is possible to defend the Masters in blue jeans. We of course do not know.
    anyway many congratulations and I wish you a good new research topic.
  15. Aug 20, 2006 #14
    The PhD remains to be seen. I'll be able to tell you more in a month or so.

The Ma defense will be done in casual clothing, but my style is rather classical so that doesn't matter much. The PhD in my university is done without much ceremony, it could be different in other universities though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?