How will the server move affect user access?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I think it'll be a few hours before everyone is able to log on.In summary, the PF's server is being moved and some people are not able to log on.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I don't know if everyone reads feedback and knows we are going down for the weekend.

Goodbye everyone.

I hope you all have other plans made.

Physics news on Phys.org
Goodbye, Evo! :cry:

Goodbye Doc! :cry:

No kissing smilies here like on chat. :frown:

I'm going to miss this place.

We're going down!

Hurry up and get in the lifeboats!

Women, children, and french fries first!

(Couldn't resist the pun sorry:biggrin:)

Everyone have a great weekend, and I'll see you all on Monday!

G01 said:
We're going down!

Hurry up and get in the lifeboats!

Women, children, and french fries first!

(Couldn't resist the pun sorry:biggrin:)

Everyone have a great weekend, and I'll see you all on Monday!
Save the fries!

Even a little bit of water is disastrous.

One could try these:

Attachments

• closed.gif
    closed.gif
    706 bytes · Views: 454
  • smootch.gif
    smootch.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 456
Is there an estimated time that it will start (end:cry:)?

Awe, I'm going to miss you all! Love and kisses for everyone :biggrin:

Ah crud, I chipped a tooth and need sympathy. I can't stop rubbing my tongue over it. Why does this always happen on Friday. Why does it matter, my dentist is always booked 6 weeks in advance. :grumpy:

And hugs and kisses to mcknia. :smile:

We need those shocking smilies. We should go out with a page of those.

Should've put "Sugar, " in front on the title...

binzing said:
Should've put "Sugar, " in front on the title...
Bye binzing, my first BFF :cry:

Or was that G01? I think it was you. Or some one else. Moose is a BFF. MIH is a BFF, Who was my first?

lol..not me. The "sugar" part was a joke, there's a song called "Sugar, we're going down".

Most of the people I would say goodbye to will probably try to connect tomorrow and won't get in.

Unless we get another delay.

Everyone send "positive" thoughts to Greg so he can hold up long enough to get things up and running. This is a huge thing he is doing.

Well this is going to be one boring weekend!

Waaah!

Well, at least we'll be back on Monday right? I'll bet everyone is going to be extra happy too.

Look at it this way: we're all going on vacation for two days. We should post a thread: "What I did on my Autumn Vacation away from PF."

FrancisZ said:
Well, at least we'll be back on Monday right? I'll bet everyone is going to be extra happy too.

Look at it this way: we're all going on vacation for two days. We should post a thread: "What I did on my Autumn Vacation away from PF."

:rofl:

Ugh, this thread title reminded me of that horrible Fall Out Boy (yes, I know, it's redundant to have the horrible there...) song.

Thanks Evo, now I have to spend the weekend getting that out of my head.

ha ha, i brought that up Sticks

"We will being this weekend"

Are we also exporting to China?

binzing said:
ha ha, i brought that up Sticks

I didn't even see that!

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/expression/expression_27.gif

...http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/cartoon/cartoon_393.gif

I'm disappointed, Evo. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought that you'd re-opened the 'Clinic'. Great... another sexual fantasy blown to hell... :grumpy:

Hey, it is tomorrow and PF's is still up, it may be the time difference between UK/US ,may be it is still today over in the US, there should be a PF's standard time.
If the server is down in US day time i may not miss much, or will i miss it the next day? or even the day before.

I presume it'll go down when Greg starts work today. Given that it's 4.15am over there, I don't think it'll be for a while!

Yep, we may have another few hours on line.

There will payback time though later on.

As long as most of it is when I'm asleep. There are lots of races on as well. :biggrin:

I'll be on leaf peeping run parteaux this weekend, so I won't feel the loss. Read you next week.

We're still up, though probably not for long. Nearing 10:00 Eastern... tick, tick, tick...

how long does it take to change servers?

Is it going to be like during chat? All nervously waiting for the ding-dong, Greg entered the chat, we are closing? :rofl:

tribdog said:
how long does it take to change servers?

Problem is not with changing servers, but with propagating information about new PF server localization throughout the web. That will take a day or two.

I guess we're going down tonight.

Borek said:
Problem is not with changing servers, but with propagating information about new PF server localization throughout the web. That will take a day or two.
Yep! DNS updates come around slowly, when you've made such a move. Some of us will be able to log on fairly soon after the move and others ... well, they'll be in withdrawal for another day or two.

1. How will the server move affect my ability to access the website?

The server move may cause temporary downtime for the website, meaning that it may not be accessible for a short period of time. However, once the move is completed, users should be able to access the website as usual.

2. Will my login information and account data be affected by the server move?

In most cases, your login information and account data should not be affected by the server move. However, it is always a good idea to keep a backup of your important data, just in case.

3. How long will the server move take?

The duration of the server move can vary depending on the size of the website and the complexity of the server. However, it is typically completed within a few hours to a day.

4. Will the server move cause any changes to the website's functionality?

In general, the server move should not cause any changes to the website's functionality. However, if there are any unexpected issues, they will be addressed and resolved as quickly as possible.

5. Can I still access the website during the server move?

During the server move, the website may be temporarily inaccessible. It is recommended to avoid accessing the website during this time to prevent any potential issues. Once the move is completed, the website should be accessible again.