We're having an Amityville fly moment

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, flies are all over the house and none of the usual fly-getting methods are working. A mini canister vac can suck them up quickly, and the flies only come around in the fall.
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The most ####ed up thing! All of a sudden, flies everywhere! All the same kind, all over the house! get out

I put up four tubes of flypaper, and 12 hours later, there are 70+ flies stuck, and there are still more buzzing around!get out

I suspect a load of larvae sneaked in with the guinea pig hay! I have no other explanation.
get out

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to get a cat!

Oh wait, that's for mice. You need to get a bat!

We get invaded for a few weeks each fall. After twenty years, I still have no idea where they all come from - we live on a farm. We have found that by far, the best option is to use a mini canister vac to suck them up. With the air flow, you only have to get close and the flies will go right up the tube. Instead of waiting days for fly strips to have an effect, you can cleanout the entire house in a matter of ten minutes. This pretty much solved our problem.

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:
The most ####ed up thing! All of a sudden, flies everywhere! All the same kind, all over the house! get out

I put up four tubes of flypaper, and 12 hours later, there are 70+ flies stuck, and there are still more buzzing around!get out

I suspect a load of larvae sneaked in with the guinea pig hay! I have no other explanation.
get out

You have a dead animal nearby.

what sort of flies? fruit flies?

You had a dead animal in the hay.

Evo said:
You had a dead animal in the hay.

I suspect it's a dead guinea pig.

lisab said:
I suspect it's a dead guinea pig.

I wish.

There, I said it..I wish those filthy things were GONE!

Hmmmm...
http://www.shelfordfeast.co.uk/guineapig.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an "Amityville fly moment"?

An "Amityville fly moment" refers to a situation where a person suddenly becomes aware of a small, insignificant detail that has been overlooked but later proves to be significant or even ominous.

Where does the phrase "Amityville fly moment" come from?

The phrase "Amityville fly moment" comes from the 1979 movie "The Amityville Horror", where a character notices a fly landing on a window but dismisses it as insignificant. This later becomes a sign of paranormal activity in the house.

Is an "Amityville fly moment" a real scientific concept?

No, an "Amityville fly moment" is not a recognized scientific concept. It is a popular phrase used to describe a sudden realization or discovery that may have important consequences.

Can an "Amityville fly moment" happen in real life?

Yes, an "Amityville fly moment" can happen in real life. It is a common occurrence where people suddenly notice small details that they previously overlooked and realize their significance.

Are there any scientific studies on "Amityville fly moments"?

No, there are no scientific studies specifically on "Amityville fly moments". However, there are studies on the phenomenon of hindsight bias, which is a similar concept where people feel like they should have known or predicted something after it has already happened.