What animals don't have fur?Why is West Hollywood considering a fur ban?

• Thread starter DoggerDan
  • Start date
In summary, West Hollywood is on the verge of becoming the first city in the United States to ban the sale of fur clothing within its boundaries. This move is being made in support of animal rights and against the use of fur for fashion. While opponents argue that this will have a significant impact on the local economy, with fur sales accounting for up to $2 million in revenues for businesses, others believe that the fake fur industry can easily fill the gap. The debate over wearing fur is ongoing, with some seeing it as a status symbol and others viewing it as unnecessary and potentially cruel.

What do you think?

• Fur has been used as a natural clothing many times longer than civilization is old.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Let the Hollywooders work things out themselves.

• I do not have an opinion.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Selling fur is evil and should be banned outright.

• Total voters
DoggerDan
Headline: West Hollywood nears approval of first fur ban in U.S.
Link: http://news.yahoo.com/west-hollywood-nears-approval-first-fur-ban-u-141938767.html

Quote 1: "WEST HOLLYWOOD, California (Reuters) - Taking a stand for animal rights over fashion, the tiny, tony municipality of West Hollywood is poised to become the first U.S. city to ban the sale of fur clothing within its boundaries."

Hmmm. How thoughtful of them.

Quote 2: "Opponents say nearly half of the 200 apparel stores in town sell at least some fur items, and that merchandise made with animal pelts is estimated to account for up to $2 million in revenues for those businesses this year."

Oops! Looks like there's more to this story than Bambi's brown eyes! What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Who would really miss the fur anyway. Do you know how hot it gets in west Hollywierd?
I'm guessing the fur is 100% profit because I have seen animals take off their fur and leave it on the bench it's so hot.

I'm certainly no activist. I consume all of gods creatures equally in fact. But what can fur do that faux fur cannot? Nobody really wears "fur" anymore right? I mean, it's not 1950. It's just used as interior material I thought.

I wear fur just to piss people in hollywood off.

Pengwuino said:
I wear fur just to piss people in hollywood off.

late_bloomer_penguin.jpg

Can you spot Pengwuino?

Typical hollywood "I'm better than you" hipster-ism.

These days its almost a non-issue. Fake furs are so realistic you'd need an expert to tell the difference and I'm sure all those fur selling stores will get by.

quarkcharmer said:
late_bloomer_penguin.jpg

can you spot pengwuino?
lol!

The problem with fashion fur is that we don't eat the meat of the animals killed for luxury furs. mink, chinchilla, sable, etc... It's not like leather from a cow, or sheepskin, where the animal is eaten and virtually every part of the animal is used.

I can't help wondering how long it will be before those morons in PETA start spray-painting cats to protest their wearing of fur coats. By the bye, I don't approve of fur harvesting just for the sake of fashion. As Evo said, though, if the thing is going to die anyhow for other purposes there is no reason to waste the outer bits.

Danger said:
I can't help wondering how long it will be before those morons in PETA start spray-painting cats to protest their wearing of fur coats.

How clever, did you think that up all by yourself?

SoggyBottoms said:
How clever, did you think that up all by yourself?

No; I formed a committee to work on it. Believe me, it isn't easy to get 15 people to reach a consensus within 3 seconds. I'm proud of them.

wuliheron said:
These days its almost a non-issue. Fake furs are so realistic you'd need an expert to tell the difference and I'm sure all those fur selling stores will get by.

How will they get by when their net income relies on fur sales which might go bye-bye?

Danger said:
I can't help wondering how long it will be before those morons in PETA start spray-painting cats to protest their wearing of fur coats.

Nice one. Can't wait to see the first news story where "Paint-spraying PETA members fatally attacked by angry chinchillas."

Evo said:
The problem with fashion fur is that we don't eat the meat of the animals killed for luxury furs. mink, chinchilla, sable, etc... It's not like leather from a cow, or sheepskin, where the animal is eaten and virtually every part of the animal is used.

Good point. When will we see the first genetically modified chinchillacow?

DoggerDan said:
How will they get by when their net income relies on fur sales which might go bye-bye?

Who cares?

I wouldn't say wearing fur is evil, but it is unnecessary. Synthetic materials can keep a person warmer than natural materials (including fur).

The value of wearing real fur is status - much like wearing this fine, 14K Gold Invisible Blue Diamond Grillz for only $1,983 increases one's status while providing absolutely no functionality.

On the other hand, wearing exotic real fur grillz would be pretty cool! And even use less fur than a fur coat! What a great compromise!

DoggerDan said:

Who says their net income is dependent on real fur sales? All the article says is they sell 2 million bucks worth a year. For all I know they sell another 100 million in fake furs and would make up the difference selling fake furs if they didn't stock real furs. This is Hollywood where some people drop a few hundred thousand dollars on a single piece of jewelry and a couple of thousand on lunch.

SoggyBottoms said:
Who cares?

They do. Their spouses and children do, as well. Are you saying, "so long as the innocent animal is slaughtered the kids can die of starvation?" Is that your position?

If it is, there are several million years of evolutionary interaction between humans and animals which don't agree with your position. I just got a mixed husky pup. Should I eat him? Skin him alive? Or should he and I, as budding friends, build a relationship over the next decade which benefits us both?

BobG said:
I wouldn't say wearing fur is evil, but it is unnecessary. Synthetic materials can keep a person warmer than natural materials (including fur).

The value of wearing real fur is status - much like wearing this fine, 14K Gold Invisible Blue Diamond Grillz for only $1,983 increases one's status while providing absolutely no functionality.

On the other hand, wearing exotic real fur grillz would be pretty cool! And even use less fur than a fur coat! What a great compromise!

Good points. In actuality, the only real fur anything I've owned is sheepskin seat covers. They died as a product of animal husbandry, which is a nice way of saying they provided food for the table. Anyone eat at MacDonald's? Wendy's? Burger King? No difference. What about Joe's Catfish House? Same thing, except they breath underwater (and lack very little fur).

I'm really not sure what the argument is, here. Is it really against fluffy, or is it against the killing of animals? How about how many times pre-man was killed for food before man rose to the top of our evolutionary food chain?

What is "West Hollywood's Fur Ban"?

"West Hollywood's Fur Ban" is a local ordinance that prohibits the sale of fur products within the city limits of West Hollywood, California. This includes any clothing, accessories, or home decor items made of real animal fur.

When did the fur ban go into effect?

The fur ban in West Hollywood went into effect on September 21, 2013.

Why was the fur ban implemented?

The fur ban was implemented in order to promote animal welfare and reduce the use of cruel and inhumane practices in the fur industry. It was also seen as a step towards creating a more ethical and sustainable fashion industry.

Are there any exceptions to the fur ban?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the fur ban. These include fur products used for religious purposes, fur products purchased outside of West Hollywood, and fur products made from animals that were not killed specifically for their fur (such as sheepskin).

What are the consequences for violating the fur ban?

The consequences for violating the fur ban in West Hollywood can result in fines of up to $500 for the first offense and $800 for subsequent offenses. In addition, businesses may have their business license revoked if they are found to be repeatedly violating the fur ban.

Back