Westboro announces protest of Steve Jobs’ funeral

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, Westboro Baptist Church is planning to protest the funeral of Apple founder Steve Jobs. They are known for their anti-gay protests of American soldiers' funerals, and their leader Margie Phelps announced on Twitter that they will be picketing the funeral. It is unknown if this is their last protest, but it is likely that they will not be able to maintain any credibility after this stunt.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
These people need to be rounded up and locked in a mental institution.

Westboro Baptist Church--best known for its reviled anti-gay protests of American soldiers' funerals--announced last night on Twitter that its members will be picketing the funeral of Apple founder Steve Jobs.

"He had a huge platform; gave God no glory & taught sin," Westboro leader Margie Phelps tweeted--from her iPhone

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...test-steve-jobs-funeral-iphone-141530936.html

Physics news on Phys.org
LOL! These guys are such total nutcases...they slay me!

I'm *totally* going to invite them to my funeral! Well, I mean, I'll put it in my last will and testament. Give everyone a good laugh.

Evo said:
These people need to be rounded up and locked in a mental institution.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout...test-steve-jobs-funeral-iphone-141530936.html

I can't help but think this might be their last protest.

Has anyone seen the documentary on their family: Fall From Grace? (Pretty sure that was the name.) The Phelps family makes up the entire church populace, and there seems to be a legitimate mental illness that runs in the family. A couple of the children actually escaped in the night from their home and went into hiding from their father, Fred Phelps.

Either way, I know I'll be there to protest Fred Phelps' funeral. And I be sure to leave little gay-rights flags on his grave each year.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really is amazing how they can maintain any crediblity even from within their own ranks. It's one thing to be committed to a nutty cause like protesting gays, as there can be fanatics found to support that. Now they are really just begging for publicity, the true nutcases must see that unless the whole church is involved in the cheap stunts.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It really is amazing how they can maintain any crediblity even from within their own ranks. It's one thing to be committed to a nutty cause like protesting gays, as there can be fanatics found to support that. Now they are really just begging for publicity, the true nutcases must see that unless the whole church is involved in the stunts.

Not sure if it's still true, but the entire church (in 2006-2007) was only Phelps' family members (albeit, extended in some cases).

FlexGunship said:
Not sure if it's still true, but the entire church (in 2006-2007) was only Phelps' family members (albeit, extended in some cases).

meh, in that case, who cares, the media is at fault for this one.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It really is amazing how they can maintain any crediblity even from within their own ranks. It's one thing to be committed to a nutty cause like protesting gays, as there can be fanatics found to support that. Now they are really just begging for publicity, the true nutcases must see that unless the whole church is involved in the cheap stunts.
My guess:
They manage it through a strict internal regime of threats, violence, and most likely, extensive child abuse.

These techniques, when used consistently, have extremely cohesive effects and fosters exclusionary group identity formation.

Greg Bernhardt said:
meh, in that case, who cares, the media is at fault for this one.

Sigh... there's still 71 of them...

they latch on to items like this for the publicity. and we give them exactly what they want, media access.

lisab said:
I'm *totally* going to invite them to my funeral!

Outstanding idea, particularly if it's open casket and you died of the bubonic plague. That'll rid us of these cranial turds!

Unfortunately, we would be bereft of you, so that's no good...

FlexGunship said:
Sigh... there's still 71 of them...

As in 0.000000002% of the U.S. Population? That puts things into better perspective.

Why, again, is this newsworthy?

DoggerDan said:
As in 0.000000002% of the U.S. Population? That puts things into better perspective.

Why, again, is this newsworthy?
People used to praise them for filing lawsuits based on First Ammendment rights. People should see them for what they really are.

Wait, why do these sicko's get media coverage? Just ignore them...

Are these hate-mongers exploiting non-profit status just because they appended "Church" to the name of their hate group?

turbo said:
Are these hate-mongers exploiting non-profit status just because they appended "Church" to the name of their hate group?
Yep, they don't pay taxes.

micromass said:
Wait, why do these sicko's get media coverage? Just ignore them...
It's good to have something to laugh at ... :rofl:

"He had a huge platform; gave God no glory & taught sin," Westboro leader Margie Phelps tweeted--from her iPhone.

rootX said:
It's good to have something to laugh at ... :rofl:

"He had a huge platform; gave God no glory & taught sin," Westboro leader Margie Phelps tweeted--from her iPhone.

:rofl: that's great!

I've often thought the best way to deal with this sect would be to record a laugh track of may styles of laughter, and blast it at them at 120+ decibels.

PAllen said:
I've often thought the best way to deal with this sect would be to record a laugh track of may styles of laughter, and blast it at them at 120+ decibels.
Or you could just tell them, FOO YOU! (4 minute mark) :tongue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e5hRLbCaCs

1. What is the reason behind Westboro's protest of Steve Jobs' funeral?

The Westboro Baptist Church often protests high-profile events as a means of drawing attention to their extreme religious beliefs and controversial messages. They have previously targeted funerals of public figures as a way to garner media attention.

2. How does Westboro justify protesting a funeral?

Westboro believes that their protests are necessary in order to spread their message and warn others of what they perceive as sinful behavior. They also view funerals of public figures as opportunities to gain attention and promote their agenda.

3. Will Westboro actually follow through with the protest at Steve Jobs' funeral?

While Westboro often announces plans to protest events, they do not always go through with them. In the past, they have cancelled protests due to backlash or logistical issues, so it is uncertain if they will actually show up at Steve Jobs' funeral.

4. How has the public responded to Westboro's announcement?

The public response has been largely negative, with many expressing outrage and disgust at the idea of protesting someone's funeral. However, there are also those who support Westboro's right to free speech, even if they disagree with their message.

5. Can anything be done to stop Westboro from protesting at the funeral?

The legality of Westboro's protests has been debated, but ultimately they are protected by the First Amendment. Some have suggested counter-protesting or ignoring them, while others have advocated for creating laws to restrict their actions. Ultimately, it is up to the organizers of the funeral to decide how to handle the potential protest.