Is Western Blotting Still Relevant in Research?

• Thread starter sobored
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Articles
In summary, the individual is looking for articles with references discussing the technique of Western Blotting. They are having trouble finding these articles on Pubmed and are questioning if Western Blotting is an outdated technique. They are specifically looking for articles with references and do not want to rely on unknown websites for information. They are referred to a specific article on Pubmed and encouraged to search for protocols on Current Protocols in Protein Science. It is clarified that Western Blotting is still a widely used technique and there is no shortage of articles on the topic.
sobored
I am looking for any articles with references talking about WESTERN BLOTTING, but i hardly find any in pubmed. Could it be that WESTERN BLOTTING is an old technique that is why old articles are deleted or not in use? Do you have any good ones that i can read?

I am not interested in some of the unknown websites talking about this topic, since i don't know if they are right about what they are saying. I need articles with references!

Thank you!

Biology news on Phys.org
Use Western Blot as your keywords and you should come up with a list of articles longer than you know what to do with. There is definitely no shortage of studies using Westerns, and it is far from obsolete!

1. What is the purpose of a Western Blot?

A Western Blot is a common laboratory technique used to detect specific proteins in a sample. It allows scientists to identify and quantify the presence of a particular protein in a complex mixture, such as a tissue or cell lysate.

2. How does a Western Blot work?

The Western Blot process involves separating proteins by size using gel electrophoresis, transferring the proteins onto a membrane, and then using specific antibodies to recognize and bind to the target protein. This creates a visual "band" on the membrane that can be detected and measured.

3. What is the difference between a Western Blot and an ELISA?

While both Western Blots and ELISAs are used to detect and quantify proteins, they differ in the type of sample they can analyze. A Western Blot can detect multiple proteins in a complex sample, while an ELISA is typically used to measure a single protein in a more purified sample.

4. How do you interpret the results of a Western Blot?

The results of a Western Blot are typically evaluated by comparing the intensity of the band(s) on the membrane to a known standard or control. The intensity of the band correlates to the amount of the target protein in the sample.

5. What are the common troubleshooting steps for a failed Western Blot?

If a Western Blot does not produce expected results, common troubleshooting steps include checking for sample contamination, adjusting the transfer conditions, and optimizing the antibody concentrations. It is also important to validate the results with additional techniques and controls.