1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wet-bulb temperature

1. Jan 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Imagine a wet thermometer whose bulb is covered with a wet wick at 1 atm. Temperature of the water happens to drop during the process of evaporation.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Does evaporation lower the temperature of water just by removing high-kinetic-energy molecules and lowers it's temperature, just so there can be a driving force for heat transfer? So basically heat from the air is supplied to the water resulting in lowering it's temperature by some small amount?

Somewhere I read that temeprature difference between wet and dry thermometer goes up to 10°C, or more. It's sorta shocking to me, does that mean that water and air at differ by that large amount in a real environment? So they are basically never in a thermal equilibrium until all water evaporates? Wow...

I'm not really interested in math behind it, i just dont get what's going on in molecular, practical level.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2016 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted