Proving the Relation Between Weyl Tensor, Ricci Tensor & Scalar

In summary, the conversation involved discussing how to prove that on 3-dimensional manifolds, the Weyl tensor vanishes, or in other words, how to show that the curvature tensor, Ricci tensor, and curvature scalar are related. The person asking for help was criticized for posting in multiple areas, and the conversation also touched on previous instances of the expert providing incorrect or confusing answers. The solution to the proof was summarized as showing that the tensor is skew-symmetric and then plugging in a basis of TM to show that one of the basis elements must double up, resulting in a proof of the vanishing of the Weyl tensor.
sroeyz
Hello, I wish to show that on 3-dimensional manifolds, the weyl tensor vanishes.
In other words, I want to show that the curvature tensor, the ricci tensor and curvature scalar hold the relation

eq0009MP.gif

Please, if anyone knows how I can prove this relation or refer to a place which proves the relation, I will be most grateful.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You have created an identical thread in the Physics area. Please don't double post.

Hey! Jim McNamara ...

Excuses Excuses Jim McNamara.

I was interested in his question. I find it obnoxious that someone that didn't even participate in providing him with an answer in the physics section has the audacity to chid him for being interested in asking a larger audience.

In another person's post about unitary matrices you tried answering with some nonsense, that Matt grime cleaned up.

In a post called complex.h . You again gave bogus statements that were cleaned up by Hurkyl.

In a post Atomic number and Orbitals. You again make a God like statement about passing on answering it as you think it is someone's homework and it is incomprehensible. But others gave him a clear answer.

In Asymptotic mathcing for a first order differential equation post . You again declare that a variable "e" in some equation must refer to Napier's constant. At least there you start with "I'M CONFUSED".

In Sulfur Based Lifeforms Question post . You don't even get that the point is that we are carbon based life forms.

I am not in charge of this forum. But please don't TELL anyone else anything, ok. (Especially about math, it isn't based on an opinion which you obviously want to flaunt).

Steve

the long and short of the proof is: first show that the tensor is skew-symmetric in any two variables; then take a basis of TM and plug them into the weyl tensor; the weyl tensor is a 4-tensor, so one of the basis elements has to double up; hence it's zero.

1) What is the relationship between Weyl tensor, Ricci tensor, and scalar?

The Weyl tensor, Ricci tensor, and scalar are all mathematical quantities used in the study of general relativity. The Weyl tensor describes the curvature of spacetime outside of matter, the Ricci tensor describes the curvature caused by matter, and the scalar represents the overall curvature of spacetime.

2) Why is it important to prove the relation between these tensors and scalar?

Proving the relation between these tensors and scalar is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of general relativity and how gravity works. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

3) How is the relation between these tensors and scalar mathematically expressed?

The mathematical expression for the relation between the Weyl tensor, Ricci tensor, and scalar is known as the Einstein field equations. These equations relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy within it. It can be written as:

Rμν - 1/2Rgμν = 8πGTμν

4) Are there any experimental evidence supporting this relation?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments and observations that support the relation between these tensors and scalar. For example, the deflection of light by massive objects, the precession of Mercury's orbit, and the bending of starlight by massive galaxies are all phenomena that can be explained by the Einstein field equations.

5) Can this relation be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Einstein field equations can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, some theories, such as string theory, require more than four dimensions to accurately describe the universe. The mathematical framework for these higher-dimensional versions of the equations is known as the Einstein-Hilbert action.