Weyls representation of a propagating (z-v*t) spherical wave

In summary, the conversation discusses representing a propagating standing spherical wave as a sum of plane waves using Weyl's representation. The individual steps and calculations are shared, and the final approach involves modifying the expression for the plane wave coefficients to include positive and negative frequency components. This allows for the extension of the representation to include ##z>vt##.
Rumo
Hello!

The following wave solves the 3D wave equation:
$$ \frac{\sin\left(k\sqrt{x^2+y^2+\frac{(z-vt)^2}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\right)}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+\frac{(z-vt)^2}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}}\cos\left(w\frac{t-\frac{vz}{c^2}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\right) $$

This is a propagating standing spherical wave. I want to represent this as a sum of plane waves. Concerning this topic I found Weyls representation of spherical waves:
$$ \frac{\exp(ikr)}{r} = \frac{ik}{2\pi}\int\int\frac{1}{m}\exp(ik(px+qy+m|z|))\text{d}p\text{d}q $$
with ## m = (1-p^2-q^2)^{\frac{1}{2}} ## or ## i(p^2+q^2-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} ##.

Can Weyls representation of a spherical wave be modified to represent the propagating standing spherical wave?

My ideas:
The propagating standing spherical wave is still a sum of outgoing and incoming propagating waves, so we can write:
$$ \frac{\exp\left(ik\sqrt{x^2+y^2+\frac{(z-vt)^2}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\pm w\frac{t-\frac{vz}{c^2}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}\right)}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+\frac{(z-vt)^2}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}} $$
Deriving Weyls representation, they look at the plane ## z \to 0 ##. Can we look at the moving plane ## z \to vt ## to first find a representation of:
$$ \frac{\exp(ik\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\pm wt\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}})}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} $$?

Given the ansatz (I found the calculation in "Optical Coherence and Quantum Optics" by Leonard Mandel, Emil Wolf):
$$ \frac{\exp(ik\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\pm wt\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}})}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}} = \int\int a(p,q)\exp(ik(px+qy))\text{d}p\text{d}q $$
we find with the inverse Fourier transformation:
$$ a(p,q) = \left(\frac{k}{2\pi}\right)^2 \int\int \frac{\exp(ik\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\pm wt\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}})}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\exp(-ik(px+qy))\text{d}x\text{d}y $$
Following Weyl again, we can use polar coordinates:
$$ x = R\cos{\varphi}, y = R\sin{\varphi}, p = \rho\cos{\chi}, q = \rho\sin{\chi} $$
and find:
$$ a(p,q) = \left(\frac{k}{2\pi}\right)^2 \int\int \exp\left(ikR\pm wt\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}\right)\exp(-ikR\rho\cos(\varphi-\chi))\text{d}R\text{d}\varphi = \left(\frac{k}{2\pi}\right)^2\exp\left(\pm wt\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}\right) \int\int \exp(ikR)\exp(-ikR\rho\cos(\varphi-\chi))\text{d}R\text{d}\varphi $$
This is now the same as in Weyls representation apart of one factor. So we find
$$ a(p,q) = \frac{ik}{2\pi}\frac{1}{m}\exp\left(\pm wt\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}\right) $$
Is this correct? But at this point I do not know how to proceed. Could you help me out? How can I expand this to ## z > vt ##?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and calculations on representing the propagating standing spherical wave as a sum of plane waves. Your approach seems to be correct and you have successfully derived the expression for the plane wave coefficients. To extend this to ##z>vt##, we can use the fact that the spherical wave can be represented as a sum of outgoing and incoming waves. The outgoing wave can be represented as a sum of plane waves with positive frequency, while the incoming wave can be represented as a sum of plane waves with negative frequency. Therefore, we can modify our expression for the plane wave coefficients to include the positive and negative frequency components:

$$a(p,q) = \frac{ik}{2\pi}\left(\frac{1}{m}\exp\left(\pm wt\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}\right) + \frac{1}{m}\exp\left(\mp wt\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}\right)\right)$$

We can then use this modified expression for the plane wave coefficients in the integral form of Weyl's representation to represent the propagating standing spherical wave as a sum of plane waves. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification on any part of the process.

1. What is the Weyl representation of a propagating (z-v*t) spherical wave?

The Weyl representation of a propagating (z-v*t) spherical wave is a mathematical representation of a wave that propagates in a spherical shape, with its center at the origin. It is described by the equation z-v*t=constant, where z represents the distance from the origin, v is the wave's velocity, and t is the time. This representation is commonly used in physics and engineering to study the behavior of waves.

2. How is the Weyl representation different from other wave representations?

The Weyl representation is unique in that it takes into account the spherical nature of the wave, whereas other representations, such as the plane wave representation, assume the wave propagates in a straight line. The Weyl representation is also a more general representation, as it can be used for waves of any type, including electromagnetic, acoustic, and quantum waves.

3. What is the significance of the (z-v*t) term in the Weyl representation?

The (z-v*t) term in the Weyl representation represents the phase of the wave. This phase factor is important because it determines the position and shape of the wave at a given time. It also affects the interference patterns between waves, and thus plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of waves.

4. Can the Weyl representation be applied to non-spherical waves?

Yes, the Weyl representation can be applied to non-spherical waves as well, such as cylindrical or elliptical waves. In these cases, the (z-v*t) term represents the equation for the wave's surface, which can take on different shapes depending on the type of wave being studied.

5. How is the Weyl representation used in practical applications?

The Weyl representation is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in radar systems to analyze the behavior of electromagnetic waves, in sonar technology to study the propagation of acoustic waves in water, and in quantum mechanics to describe the wave function of particles. It is also used in engineering and physics research to study the properties of different types of waves and their interactions with matter.