1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

WFE of a Mirror

1. Jan 29, 2015 #1
    Thank you all for any help or advice you can give.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the fabrication Wavefront error (WFE) of a mirror with a PV surface error of 1 um? Express your answer in terms of RMS waves at lambda = 0.633 um

2. Relevant equations
    WFE=2*SFE

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know to start by calculating the WFE. I know the SFE=1um
    WFE=2*1um
    WFE=2um PV

I dont know how to convert PV into RMS. Everything I've read says there is no set ratio between PV and RMS measurements. But that values from 3-5 are commonly used depending on the surface error. So I'm a little confused.

Thank you again for any help you can offer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2015 #2
    I don't know much about optics, but to me it seems like the problem statement is missing some context.

There isn't any mention of a specific type of surface aberration, or perhaps some kind of approximation based on some assumptions you've discussed in your course?

4. Jan 30, 2015 #3
    Thank you for the response.
    I feel the same way thats why I was asking. There is no mention of specific type of aberration in the question, and as far as I can tell from the reading you can use any number between 3-5 depending on the different aberration you are dealing with. I was hoping someone was familiar with optical engineering and could let me know what I'm missing. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted