Help Needed: Calculating Wavefront Error from PV Measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the fabrication Wavefront error (WFE) for a mirror with a PV surface error of 1 um. The equation for WFE is given as WFE=2*SFE, but there is confusion on how to convert PV into RMS as there is no set ratio. It is mentioned that values from 3-5 are commonly used depending on the type of surface aberration. The person asking for help is looking for clarification from someone knowledgeable in optical engineering.
AaronBurr
Thank you all for any help or advice you can give.

1. Homework Statement

What is the fabrication Wavefront error (WFE) of a mirror with a PV surface error of 1 um? Express your answer in terms of RMS waves at lambda = 0.633 um

Homework Equations

WFE=2*SFE

The Attempt at a Solution

I know to start by calculating the WFE. I know the SFE=1um
WFE=2*1um
WFE=2um PV

I don't know how to convert PV into RMS. Everything I've read says there is no set ratio between PV and RMS measurements. But that values from 3-5 are commonly used depending on the surface error. So I'm a little confused.

Thank you again for any help you can offer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about optics, but to me it seems like the problem statement is missing some context.

There isn't any mention of a specific type of surface aberration, or perhaps some kind of approximation based on some assumptions you've discussed in your course?

Thank you for the response.
I feel the same way that's why I was asking. There is no mention of specific type of aberration in the question, and as far as I can tell from the reading you can use any number between 3-5 depending on the different aberration you are dealing with. I was hoping someone was familiar with optical engineering and could let me know what I'm missing. Thanks again.

1. What is wavefront error?

Wavefront error is a measure of the deviation of an optical wavefront from its ideal shape. It is typically quantified in terms of the peak-to-valley (PV) measurement, which is the difference between the highest and lowest points of the wavefront.

2. How is wavefront error calculated from PV measurement?

To calculate wavefront error from PV measurement, the highest and lowest points of the wavefront are measured and the difference between them is taken. This value represents the amount of deviation from the ideal wavefront shape, and is typically expressed in units of length (e.g. micrometers).

3. Why is it important to measure wavefront error?

Wavefront error is an important metric in optics and optical systems. It can affect the performance of optical instruments and can be used to diagnose and correct aberrations in optical systems. Measuring wavefront error allows for the evaluation and improvement of optical system performance.

4. What factors can contribute to wavefront error?

There are several factors that can contribute to wavefront error, including imperfections in the optical elements, misalignments in the optical system, and environmental factors such as temperature and humidity. These factors can cause deviations in the ideal shape of the wavefront, resulting in wavefront error.

5. How can wavefront error be minimized?

Minimizing wavefront error can be achieved through careful design and fabrication of optical components, proper alignment of the optical system, and environmental controls. Additionally, techniques such as adaptive optics can be used to actively correct for wavefront error in real time.