Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Whaaa! Calculating the temperature of the suns surface!

1. Nov 6, 2005 #1
    Hi ya all!

I'm having difficulties with estimating the temperature of the surface of the sun from a given solar spectrum. I've already determined the photon energy of the most common photons (1.15 eV). I also know that the curve of the solar spectrum (photon energy on the x-axis and intensity on the y-axis) is described with (hf^3)/((e^(hf/Kb T))-1) where the frequency f corresponding to 1 eV energy is 2.417970 x 10^14 Hz.

Now the way to retrieve the correct answer is the following:
    1) Differentiate the formula.
    2) Calculate the frequency of the most common photons and fill that in the formula.
    3) Solve the equation where the differentiated formula (with f filled in) is set zero. (This may be done with a graphic calculator)

The only problem is that I don't seem to differentiate the formula correctly, because my calculator just can't find the points where it's zero. Could someone pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase help me to differentiate it the right way?o:)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook