Whale killed on the second try a century later

• Thread starter edward
  • Start date
ShawnD
Science Advisor
I didn't say anything like that.. You are the one trying to suggest that people will die of lung cancer by age thirty if we don't allow massive deforestation and the continuation of over harvesting of our aquatic life.:rolleyes:
What you are saying is that people should shut down all industry to meet some arbitrary standard set by you. Things like whales, trees, and food (made on the land that was clear-cut) are exported to other countries, and other goods come back in return. That's how an economy works. You gather stuff you have, you send it out, and in return you get stuff that you can't gather yourself. Some countries have whales, some have trees, and some have food.
You can't just shut down all trade, shut down all industry, and expect people to live better lives through magic.

Sure some people in third-world nations are still poor, but if you shut down all of their industry and expect them to not touch any of their own natural resources (like trees), what are they supposed to trade? Nothing? Do they remain third-world countries forever? You may use Mexico as an example of a place where some people do use low budget technology and have no electricity (true), but a lot of Mexicans do have electricity, and computers, and every other thing you have in your own home. If they had no economy, like you are requesting of them, then all Mexicans would be poor.

Last edited:
ShawnD

Good god you sure got off on a tangent. Hey buddy the problems of the world have nothing to do with me. And I am not talking about shutting down any type of activity that provides a secure food supply and an improved subsistence for third world populations.

Nor am I inferring that all industry is bad, but the real world is far from being a perfect world. What I stated was that industries tend to take advantage of poor populations rather than significantly benefiting them.

As I mentioned, we have a third world country on our southern border and despite a large degree of industrialization, it still remains a third world country.

The situation (not the industry) described below is what I would want to see eliminated. It can only be done by requiring industries to be responsible members of the community.

Conditions in the colonias
Perhaps even more appalling than conditions inside the factories are those in the surrounding colonias. The companies are not required to pay any local taxes, so the cities have no funds for basic residential infrastructure. The companies and the local government provide no necessary social services of any sort to the workers they exploit. Workers, whose wages are already impossibly low, are forced to fend for themselves in every way, from child care to housing to garbage disposal.

The colonias in Tijuana, many now more than a decade old, still resemble vast temporary camps. Families cram into single-room, wooden shacks. Dirt floors seem to be the norm, and some lack roofs. Homes lack indoor plumbing or electricity. Badly rutted dirt roads wind through hot, dusty communities without parks, sidewalks, or any recreational facilities. The city doesn't pick up the garbage, so it is dumped haphazardly and strewn on nearby hillsides.
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Mexico/Class_Poverty_MaquilaZone.html