Whale spotted in central London

• Thread starter hypnagogue
  • Start date
In summary, a northern bottle-nosed whale, typically found in deep sea waters, has made its way up the Thames to central London, attracting attention from riverside crowds. A rescue boat has been sent to protect the whale and efforts have been made to keep it away from the river banks. Unfortunately, the whale did not survive and died while being transported back to the sea. Scientists have suggested that irregular ocean temperatures, predators, lack of food, and sonar from ships can lead whales into dangerous waters. Some speculate that revenge on whalers for killing their mothers may also be a factor.
hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A seven-tonne whale has made its way up the Thames to central London, where it is being watched by riverside crowds.

The 16-18ft (5m) northern bottle-nosed whale, which is usually found in deep sea waters, has been seen as far upstream as Chelsea.

A rescue boat has been sent to protect the whale and rescuers have been trying to keep it away from the river banks.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4631396.stm

Pictures:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4632194.stm

Physics news on Phys.org
Fergie is back?

Ba-ZING!!

I was really sad to hear it didn't make it. It must of been quite the sight to see.

It DIDN'T? I just saw it on the news. Did it die?

Yeah apparently it went into convulsions and died while being transported back to the sea on the barge. To bad.

i saw the news on that this morning. they were saying it might be sick and things like that. they were even thinking of trucking it but fortunately had a barge. i kind of wonder why a whale would go so far into freshwater like that. like, if it was sick even, why would it do that?

I think revenge on whalers for killing their mothers is the number one reason for it.

Seven tonnes of yummy good meat!
The British should be overjoyed.

Is Mad Whale Disease contagious?

1. What type of whale was spotted in central London?

The whale spotted in central London was a juvenile humpback whale.

2. How did the whale end up in central London?

It is believed that the whale may have gotten lost or confused while migrating and ended up in the River Thames in central London.

3. Is the whale in danger in such an urban environment?

While the whale may face some challenges navigating in an urban environment, experts are closely monitoring its movements and taking steps to ensure its safety.

4. What is being done to help the whale return to its natural habitat?

A team of experts is working on a plan to safely guide the whale back to the open waters, away from the busy and potentially hazardous surroundings of central London.

5. Has a whale ever been spotted in central London before?

No, this is a rare occurrence and the first time a whale has been spotted in central London. It has caused quite a stir among locals and scientists alike.