Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What a doctor!

1. May 14, 2005 #1
    I came to see my doctor for some physical problems, I got an std, and he advise me not to consume so many vitamins because they are harmul if used extra. I right then asked him why but he seemed not like to answer directly my question. I come here to ask gurus. Do you know why ? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fat-soluble vitamins will accumulate in your body if you take more than the advised daily dose. Fat-soluble vitamins are A, D, E or K and their primary place of storage is the liver. You should especially watch out with vitamin A. The liver of the polar bear contains a lot of vitamin A, the liver is very toxic for that. More information here http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09315.html

The reason that water-soluble vitamins are not so harmful, is for the fact that your body gets rid of them through the urine so that they cannot accumulate.

4. May 15, 2005 #3
    But what does excessive vitamin intake have to do with the presence or non-presence of a STD?

5. May 16, 2005 #4

LURCH

Science Advisor

Since STD's attack through the urinary tract, perhaps the doctor was referring to water-soluble vitamins in this case? Overdoses of almost anything that is passed through the urethra can become an irratant, and this could reduce resistance to infection, couldn't it?

6. May 16, 2005 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

STD's don't attack solely through the urinary tract, think herpes simplex infection of the mouth. I don't think there is a connection between the extra vitamins and contracting STD, I think it was a general warning by the doctor that taking extra fat soluble vitamins can be dangerous.

7. May 16, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They aren't related. It's probably just a situation where someone goes to the doctor for one problem, and while there, the doctor asks questions and finds out about some other potential problems, and offers advice on those as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?