Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What a great idea!

1. Dec 7, 2006 #1
    i'll have to remember this trick if i ever fart on an airplane:

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2006/12/06/airline-fart.html

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2006 #2
    Im not really sure that i would fart on an airplane. I mean what if its really nasty and it just doesnt go away? Then you're stuck becasue you're in a confined space.

4. Dec 7, 2006 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Transatlantic flights take 12 hours. The average person farts a good couple of dozen times a day. Four or five times that if you're male, I think. (Or so it seems.)

Good luck with that plan.

- Warren

p.s. Aircraft don't recycle the air inside endlessly, they do change the air over constantly.

5. Dec 7, 2006 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What an idiot! They should charge her for the expenses she caused. :grumpy:

6. Dec 7, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And anyone who's flown much knows that people indeed DO fart on planes, and everyone just politely pretends to not notice. Those pressure changes are awful on the gut!

That's why I hate flying anytime anywhere near the holidays. Too many people who fly once every few years and pay no attention to the current rules or think they can be the exception to all of them are on the planes slowing everyone down. How clueless do you have to be to light matches on a plane?!

7. Dec 7, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That, and I bet that, statistically speaking, people fart more around the holidays.... I only travel during low-fart times of the year.

- Warren

8. Dec 7, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

Actually, the worst is being on a trans-Atlantic flight when half the flight crew becomes sick with food poisoning. (All the M.D.s who paid for those nice first class seats got to spend most of the flight in the aft galley by the lavatories with the sick crew.)

And,then talk about clueless people!!!!...we already knew the crew was sick while in-flight (hard to not know something is going on when they're requesting multiple M.D.s come to the back of the plane, and then one of the flight crew who must not have dined with them before the flight told us what was going on so we'd understand that meal service would be slow...and yes, I think every passenger probably asked if they had eaten any of the in-flight meals before getting sick), and as we were landing, we were reminded about 3 times by the pilot to remain in our seats when we land and NOT to open any overhead bins or block the aisles, because the emergency services personnel needed to get onboard and assist the ill flight crew off first, so when we land, what does some moron do? Yep, jump up to open the overhead bins and start getting out his carry-on baggage, just as the EMTs are trying to get through, and then he's slow to get out of the way as if he didn't expect they'd need to get past him. :rolleyes: Sometimes people really do need to be smacked with a clue stick!

9. Dec 7, 2006 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You meant they haven't been replaced by Japanese robots yet? :bugeye:

- Warren

10. Dec 7, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was a few years ago....:biggrin:

11. Dec 7, 2006 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She's lucky that they didn't press charges.

12. Dec 7, 2006 #11
    I never fly anywhere but I'd imagine it would be difficult to blame it on the dog like I do at home.

13. Dec 7, 2006 #12
    I once sat in the smoking section on a Turkish Air flight. I hummed the score to 2001 A Space Odyssey to be played when the doors were opened, it was night and it must have been a sight for anyone on the tarmac.

14. Dec 8, 2006 #13
    If you really had to pass wind on a plane id probably make the worlds biggest attempt to get to the bathrom, at least that way it could be expected in there.

15. Dec 8, 2006 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm gonna make millions of dollars by selling activated-carbon fart-absorbing cusions.

Hey! Nobody take my idea!

Why did I post this?

16. Dec 8, 2006 #15
    It's very easy to neutralize the sulfur-containing odors, just sit in a bucket of bleach.

17. Dec 8, 2006 #16
    lol Rach3 :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?