Is Constant Jerk a Real Physical Situation?

In summary, the conversation is about the existence of a physical situation where a force increases constantly and linearly over a non-infinitesimal time interval. The person asking the question is seeking clarification on whether they are asking about constant forces or constantly increasing forces. Examples of both scenarios are provided, including Hooke's law and a mass on a frictionless surface with a steadily increasing weight. The conversation also briefly touches on the topic of politics and world affairs.
Ja4Coltrane
I asked a quesion about this a while back, but I never felt that I got a perfectly straight answer.
I want to know if there is any real physical situation where there is a constant jerk (third derivative of displacement with respect to time). I am perfectly aware of how common jerk is as well as countless higher derivatives. I actually want to know if there is something as simple as a constant force causing a constant acceleration. In other words, is there any physical situation where a force increases constantly and linearly over some non infinitesimal time interval?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you stretch a spring at a constant rate (dx/dt= constant), the force, F= kx, increases linearly at a constant rate.

well, that's not what I mean, I don't mean linearly with the variable of displacement, I mean time.

oh,I see
sorry

but that does not work, I need net force.
in other words, I only care whether or not a constant jerk can exist.

Last edited:
Ja4Coltrane said:
I actually want to know if there is something as simple as a constant force causing a constant acceleration. In other words, is there any physical situation where a force increases constantly and linearly over some non infinitesimal time interval?

Your "in other words" is a complete rewording of what came before it! On the one hand, you want to know about constant forces, and on the other hand you want to know about constantly increasing forces. Which is it? :confused: No matter, both can be addressed. But do keep in mind that they are different!

An instance of a constant force causing a constant acceleration happens whenever a constant force acts on a particle. In that case, Newton's 2nd law says that [itex]\vec{F}=m\vec{a}[/itex]. In words that implies that the force is proportional to the acceleration. When one is constant, so is the other.

The example of Hooke's law provided above gives you an example of the second thing you asked for, which once again is not the same as the first.

edit: deleting this...

Last edited:
hold on
1) what is this second and what is this first, I didnt mean to ask anything about constant forces.
2) I did not mean that I just want an example of constantly changing force--I want an example of constantly changing net force. The hooke's law example does not do that.

do you see what I am saying?

Ja4Coltrane said:
well, that's not what I mean, I don't mean linearly with the variable of displacement, I mean time.

If you mean linearly with respect to time, then this can be rigged up with an appropriate machine. As a first approximation, consider a mass on a frictionless surface. Let a cord be attached to the mass and drawn over a pulley. Let the other end of the pulley be attached to a pan, into which flows a steady stream of water. The weight in the pan (and therefore, the horizontal force on the car) will grow linearly in time.

hehe, I like that example thanks.
it is rigged, but it's cool.
thanks.

interesting, thanks for your help.

1. Is constant jerk a real physical situation?

Yes, constant jerk is a real physical situation that occurs when an object experiences a constant acceleration over time. This means that the object's velocity is changing at a constant rate, resulting in a continuous change in its acceleration.

2. What is jerk in physics?

Jerk is the rate at which acceleration changes over time. It is the third derivative of an object's position with respect to time, and it represents the change in acceleration per unit time. In simpler terms, it is the measure of how quickly an object's acceleration is changing.

3. What are the units of jerk?

The units of jerk are meters per second cubed (m/s^3) in the SI system. In other systems, it can also be expressed as feet per second cubed (ft/s^3) or centimeters per second cubed (cm/s^3). These units represent the change in acceleration over time.

4. How is jerk related to velocity and acceleration?

Jerk is the third derivative of an object's position with respect to time. This means that it is related to both velocity and acceleration, which are the first and second derivatives, respectively. In other words, jerk is the rate at which acceleration changes, and acceleration is the rate at which velocity changes.

5. Can constant jerk be observed in real life?

Yes, constant jerk can be observed in real life. For example, when a car accelerates at a constant rate, it experiences a constant jerk. This can also be observed in situations such as roller coasters or airplanes taking off, where the acceleration is changing continuously but at a constant rate.