What a LASER needs to set off PLASMA (ex. in mid-air)

In summary, the process of air ionization depends on the energy of the photons in the laser beam rather than the specific wavelength. While both infrared and ultraviolet lasers can be used for this purpose, shorter wavelengths may require less energy to achieve ionization. The power/energy per square cm needed for air ionization is determined by factors such as the type of laser, its power output, and the distance from the laser to the air molecules.
DeathSimpl
Hello, I didn't got an answer in the thread I posted this, so here I go with my own thread..:)

I got informed and read that the ionization of the air highly depends on the different wavelengths of the beam. About the short wavelengths was said that they are 'ionizing' and about the long wavelengths that they are 'not ionizing'. Now my problems started since I am also surrounded with informations which say that air ionization in the practical science world is being achieved with Infrared lasers o_O

Does that mean that it is much easier to build up the power of an Infrared laser than to use an Ultraviolet laser instead?

..Actually this is the real thing I want to know,

How do the different wavelengths of the laser beam relate to the needed power/energy per square cm when it comes to air ionization? And what is the reason for that?

I would really appreciate if I get the answer sooner, thanks :)

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about air ionization and the use of different wavelengths of laser beams. I am happy to provide some insight on this topic.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the process of air ionization is dependent on the energy of the photons in the laser beam rather than the specific wavelength. This means that both infrared and ultraviolet lasers can be used for air ionization as long as they have enough energy to ionize the air molecules.

However, it is true that shorter wavelengths, such as ultraviolet, have more energy per photon compared to longer wavelengths like infrared. This means that it may be easier to achieve the necessary energy levels for air ionization with an infrared laser compared to an ultraviolet laser.

In terms of the power/energy per square cm needed for air ionization, this is dependent on several factors such as the type of laser, its power output, and the distance from the laser to the air molecules. Generally, a higher power output and shorter distance from the laser to the air molecules will require less energy to achieve air ionization.

The reason for this is that the energy of the photons in the laser beam is spread out over a larger area as the distance increases, making it less likely for ionization to occur. Additionally, the type of laser used can also affect the energy needed for air ionization as some lasers may have more efficient energy conversion processes.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. If you have any further inquiries, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you for your interest in this topic and happy researching!

1. What is a laser?

A laser, which stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, is a device that produces a beam of coherent light through the process of optical amplification.

2. How does a laser produce plasma?

A laser can produce plasma by focusing a high-intensity beam onto a target material, causing the electrons in the material to become excited and ionized, creating a plasma state.

3. What type of laser is needed to set off plasma in mid-air?

A high-powered, pulsed laser is typically used to create plasma in mid-air. These lasers have short pulses and high intensities, allowing them to create a plasma state in a short amount of time.

4. What factors affect the creation of plasma by a laser?

The type of laser, the intensity and duration of the pulse, and the properties of the target material all play a role in the creation of plasma by a laser. Other factors such as atmospheric conditions and the distance between the laser and target can also affect the process.

5. What are some applications of using a laser to create plasma in mid-air?

Some potential applications of using a laser to create plasma in mid-air include studying high-energy physics, creating fusion reactions, and developing new technologies for materials processing and medical treatments.