Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What a way to start the day.

1. Oct 24, 2008 #1
    I stepped outside this morning and there was a little puppy on my porch. The poor thing was just shivering like crazy and obviously terrified of me. I got a blanket and wrapped it up and brought it inside. then i went to the store to get it some food. It was still wrapped up when I got back. I got it a bowl of food and some water, but it didn't move. So I went outside for a little while and when i came back it was standing by the food. It won't move if I'm in the room. It won't take a step, but when I leave and come back it is always somewhere else. It needs a bath really bad, but I don't want to traumatize it too much. I don't want a dog, especially one that has no personality. I can't even get this one to wag its tail or sniff my fingers. I don't know if it is just really scared right now or if it is permanently traumatized. I should just call the dog catcher right now, but I won't.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2
    Congratulations, you're a dog daddy now.
  4. Oct 24, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

Jeeze trib, give the puppy some time, it sounds terrified. Depending on how old it is, it may never have eaten dog food before. I had one puppy that I had to soak the food in warm water then feed it by placing a bit of the moist food into it's mouth with my fingertip until it finally got the idea. It hadn't been weaned yet.
  5. Oct 24, 2008 #4

Gold Member

Counter-intuitively, it might respond better if you give it more attention than less. It may need to be assured that you're here to care for it. (This doesn't mean in the long-run, just enough to stabilize it.)
  6. Oct 24, 2008 #5
    It would be different too if it was a cute dog. Its an ugly, dirty mutt with no personality. and I'm only saying this to try to convince myself of it. I don't want a dog. I shouldn't have picked it up and fed it. I can't even take care of myself what am I going to do with another mouth to feed.
  7. Oct 24, 2008 #6
    Its just been laying in the corner of the room for the last hour, but every time there is a noise it looks up. I just made some squeaking noises and it looked at me and gave me that twisted face look. AHHHHHHHHH!!! it is being cute. dammit
  8. Oct 24, 2008 #7
    Too late... you already started down the slippery slope. Before you know, it will be cute, clean enough to link your fingers while you're eating, and full of unanticipated spunk.

I was lucky... the only time something similar happened to me, I soon found a home for the kitten "Boom-boom Tycho Brache." Or was I lucky? Cha-cha (pictured in my avatar) and I were just starting to get used to him.

It just might turn out to be the best day... and you sound like you know this... :biggrin:
  9. Oct 24, 2008 #8
    P.S. we will want pics of the twisted grin up here ASAP.
  10. Oct 24, 2008 #9
    Even better, I'll send you the puppy.
  11. Oct 24, 2008 #10

Homework Helper

Too late.

Better to just go get a 50 lb bag of dog chow and stop fighting it.
  12. Oct 24, 2008 #11
    well, it took a nap. and then woke up and ate all the food. I went outside and it was the open door that did the trick. the puppy followed me as I walked around. when I came back inside it came in. but as soon as I shut the door it froze up. now i'm sitting inside with the door open and she is running all over the place. she runs out then comes in and explores inside then runs back out. I have to leave the door open though or she freezes up again. I'll probably lose her leaving the door open, but she's not mine anyway.
  13. Oct 24, 2008 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

tribdog, for crying out loud - pick up that dog and cuddle it!!!
  14. Oct 24, 2008 #13
    she'd probably give me fleas
  15. Oct 24, 2008 #14
    Stop fighting it trib. You know you want to keep it.
  16. Oct 24, 2008 #15
    I went for a walk and she followed right behind me. Then one of my neighbors came out and walked up to me and the puppy jumped in front of me and barked at her.
  17. Oct 24, 2008 #16

Congratulations, you now have a dog!

Can you tell what the predominant breed is?
  18. Oct 24, 2008 #17
    She's your companion now.
  19. Oct 24, 2008 #18
    I can't tell for sure. If I had to guess I'd say rat.
  20. Oct 24, 2008 #19

Are you sure it's not a rat?
  21. Oct 24, 2008 #20
    rat terrier?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?