What are the meanings of the icons on the forum pages?

• Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding a legend for the icons on forum pages and the confusion over their meanings. The speaker suggests having a page with all the details to make forum surfing more convenient and requests for the legend to be placed at the bottom of the search page as well.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There are lots of icons on the pages, and I can't find a legend for many of them! Some I could figure out, and it took me a while to realize I could mouseover many of the others to get info, but there are still some I'm not completely sure about (e.g. purple closed envelope). It also took me a bit to figure out what the bold vs non-bold links meant; I originally thought it was non-bold if I had the last post in it!

It would be nice to have a nice little page on all of these little details that make forum surfing more convenient; I didn't find anything obvious in the FAQ table of contents.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look to the bottom of a forum page, you'll find thread icon legend :smile:

Bold means a new unread post

Hurkyl said:
I originally thought it was non-bold if I had the last post in it!
haha, that could be true :tongue:

Fine. My next request is to put the legend at the bottom of the search page too. :redface:

1. What is an icon legend?

An icon legend is a visual representation of the symbols or icons used on a map, chart, or other graphic. It provides a key for interpreting the meaning of the different icons used.

2. Why is an icon legend important?

An icon legend is important because it helps to clarify the meaning of the symbols or icons used, making it easier for viewers to understand the information being presented.

3. How do you create an icon legend?

An icon legend is typically created by listing the different icons or symbols used and providing a brief description or explanation of each one. It can also be created using a visual representation of each icon with a corresponding label or text.

4. What should be included in an icon legend?

An icon legend should include all the symbols or icons used on the graphic, along with a clear and concise explanation of each one. It should also be visually appealing and easy to read.

5. Can an icon legend be used for all types of graphics?

Yes, an icon legend can be used for any type of graphic that includes icons or symbols. It is especially useful for maps, charts, and diagrams, but can also be used for infographics, data visualizations, and other types of visual aids.