Lorentz Contraction: How Fast Can Objects Travel?

In summary, Lorentz contraction is a concept that states that the size of objects decreases as we approach the speed of light. This means that objects in motion will appear smaller to a stationary observer than to an observer moving with the object. This can be observed when an object is moving at a high speed, such as a person flying past another person. The Sun's ecliptical diameter, measured by a stationary observer, will also appear slightly smaller due to its velocity relative to the Earth. However, this effect is very small and is partially cancelled out by centrifugal "bulges" on the Sun's equator. This is because the Sun's velocity relative to the Earth is only 30 km/sec, which is negligible compared to the
ajay.05
I just got to know about this concept, "Lorentz contraction". It says The size(measure) of objects decrease as we approach the speed of light(I think, I'm right!). If this is true, then the size of our sun should be slightly smaller, as the Earth races around the sun, at a speed of one-tenth of the speed of light. Am I correct in thinking so?

Physics news on Phys.org
In fact it is as follows: the size of moving object along it's trajectory measured by stationary observer is less than the size measured by co-moving observer. If I fly past you, I will seem somewhat "flattened" to you, but in my point of view I will be okay (more than that, it will be you, who will look like contracted to me).
As for the Sun, yes, it's "ecliptical" diameter (meaning the diameter parallel to ecliptic plane) measured by you will be less than any other diameter. Or, more precisely, would be, if not for centrifugal "bulges" on it's equator (which is almost parallel to ecliptic plane if I'm not mistaken).
However the effect will be too small, because the Sun's velocity relative to the Earth is only 30 km/sec, which is almost nothing compared to speed of light in vacuum.

ADD: not one-tenth, but one per ten thousands (0.0001)

Tajimura said:

Yup, I messed up!

Tajimura said:
In fact it is as follows: the size of moving object along it's trajectory measured by stationary observer is less than the size measured by co-moving observer. If I fly past you, I will seem somewhat "flattened" to you, but in my point of view I will be okay (more than that, it will be you, who will look like contracted to me).
As for the Sun, yes, it's "ecliptical" diameter (meaning the diameter parallel to ecliptic plane) measured by you will be less than any other diameter. Or, more precisely, would be, if not for centrifugal "bulges" on it's equator (which is almost parallel to ecliptic plane if I'm not mistaken).
However the effect will be too small, because the Sun's velocity relative to the Earth is only 30 km/sec, which is almost nothing compared to speed of light in vacuum.

Thank you.

Also, you don't "see" the contraction. You determine an object to be contracted once you put together data related to a measurement of the location of one end and measurement of the location of the other end that you determine to be simultaneous measurements in your own frame of reference. Someone moving with the object determines your measurements of the front and back ends to happen at different times, and this partially explains to him why you have the impression that the vehicle is contracted.

1. What is Lorentz Contraction?

Lorentz Contraction is a phenomenon described by the theory of relativity, which states that as an object approaches the speed of light, it appears to become shorter in the direction of motion when observed from a stationary frame of reference.

2. How fast can objects travel before experiencing Lorentz Contraction?

According to the theory of relativity, objects can travel at any speed, but once they approach the speed of light (299,792,458 meters per second), they will experience Lorentz Contraction.

3. How does Lorentz Contraction affect the passage of time?

Lorentz Contraction is closely related to time dilation, which is the slowing down of time for objects that are moving at high speeds. As an object experiences Lorentz Contraction, time will appear to pass slower for that object when observed from a stationary frame of reference.

4. Is Lorentz Contraction observable in everyday life?

No, Lorentz Contraction is only observable at extremely high speeds, such as those close to the speed of light. In everyday life, objects travel at speeds much slower than the speed of light, so the effects of Lorentz Contraction are not noticeable.

5. Can Lorentz Contraction be explained by classical physics?

No, Lorentz Contraction is a phenomenon that can only be explained by the theory of relativity. Classical physics, which was developed before the theory of relativity, does not account for the effects of high speeds on objects.