Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What about sleeping ?

1. Feb 12, 2005 #1

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,what about it...?I mean,i just made a calculation that one man,in average for 80 years lived altogether,25 years is not awake (hence aware of what's happening).And if you count the "being drunk" periods,it's even more frightening... :tongue2:
    My question is:"Why does our body need sleep...?"...

Daniel.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2005 #2

eax

We need sleep to remember. When we sleep that is when we "save" everything to long term memory. If someone's face is twitching then there is a chance that he/she didn't get enough sleep for many day's. When we sleep there are 2 parts, just the normal relaxation, and then after that it is the "remembering" part. When we do "remembering" that is when we dream.

There are a few reasons why we sleep
    it is more effieciant to "remember" now then "save"(when sleeping) later- might be false.
    I can only think of one :rofl:

Anyway sleeping is good because it wastes time :smile:, just like video games :wink:

Goodnight!

4. Mar 10, 2005 #3
    A Person's sleep is actually satisfied by how many hours?

5. Mar 10, 2005 #4
    Everyone is different. Anywhere from 6 to 10 hrs seems to be in the normal range.

6. Mar 10, 2005 #5

cronxeh

Gold Member

I thought it had to do with serotonin levels in your blood that were replenish while you slept. The low amounts told hypothalamus to go to sleep.

And to conclude that that is how we store memories is wrong. We dont know how or where memories are stored, let alone the process

7. Mar 10, 2005 #6

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Mar 10, 2005 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

The results are obvious, the conclusion is incomplete

They havent tried injecting synthetic serotonin into the brain to see how the individual would do

9. Mar 10, 2005 #8
    Sleep is also the time when the body does most of its repair work; muscle tissue is rebuilt and restored. Growth hormone is secreted during sleep. This hormone is important for growth in children and teens.
    Things like insulin balance are restored so bad sleeping habits can lead to diabetes and weight gain

sleep info

10. Mar 11, 2005 #9
    Thats a lot of time spent examining the inside of your eyelids. Your body repairs itself and also balances all the hormones and your body's chemistry. Plus it refreshes you so that you can function correctly. Extreme sleep deprivation can lead to death.

11. Mar 17, 2005 #10
    Aren't these just all theories? I mean, no one really knows for sure how and why our body needs sleep, Right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?