1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What about the z's ?

1. Jan 28, 2005 #1
    what about the z's ??

I am a physics major in my second year and I wanted to know how other physics/engineering students manage their sleep. Basically I was wondering how other students sleep patterns are and how it works out for them.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's been a while since I've been a student, but I think that's one thing that never changes. I would guess that most students aren't managing to get enough sleep.
  4. Jan 28, 2005 #3
    Moonbear how many hours do you sleep??
  5. Jan 29, 2005 #4
    I get up at 3:30 am every day and do homework until I need to start getting ready for school, usually around 9 or 10 am. After school, I work a few days a week and every Saturday for a total of 23 hours, work goes till 7 pm weekdays and 11 am to 4 pm Saturdays. I'm usually in bed by 10 pm, 11 at the latest, but I like to try and get to sleep by 8 or 9 a couple times a week when possible.

This schedule may seem crazy to some, but I've always been a morning person. Getting only 4 to 5 hours sleep doesn't bother me as long as I can catch up once in awhile with a 7 to 8 hour night. I've never been able to sleep more then 10 hours at a time, and that's only when I was sick.

Since going back to school, I only hit the bar to play on a pool league one night a week. I haven't played a computer game in months and I watch about 3 to 6 hours of TV per week and rent the occasional movie.

I can't remember where I saw it, possibly on this forum somewhere, but it was a great post. It basically said, being an engineering student (or any science major really) means that you will be working on equations and writing reports while your friends are playing xbox and going to parties.
  6. Jan 29, 2005 #5
    thats nice Schedule...
  7. Jan 29, 2005 #6
    Hmm, so I guess sleep is just something I have to get over. I know some people that allmost never catch up on their sleep and do very well in school. But I read an article somewhere that said if you dont sleep 8 hrs you wont be able to think creatively.
  8. Jan 29, 2005 #7

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need 8 hours.

I work 25-27 hours a week and I get no less than 8 hours a day, unless I do something stupid and only get 6-7 hours. I normally sleep 10 hours the next day to make up for it. I rarely study or do homework, but I will start now.

I'm a math major, and I personally think sleep is more important than studying. People study way too damn much. :eek:

Get your sleep. :zzz: Have a great day at school. :biggrin:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?