Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What about trust in future US Intelligence & Claims?

1. Apr 3, 2004 #1
    Would you trust the future US Intelligence & Claims?

Powell admission on Iraq 'labs'
    There is still no sign of WMD in Iraq
    US Secretary of State Colin Powell has admitted that evidence he submitted to the United Nations to justify war on Iraq may have been wrong.

In February last year he told the UN Security Council that a pair of mobile trailers spotted in Iraq were designed for making biological weapons.

On Friday he conceded that information did not now appear to be "solid".

The claim failed to persuade the Security Council to back the war, but helped sway US public opinion.

Mr Powell said he hoped the commission appointed to investigate pre-war intelligence on Iraq would examine whether the intelligence community was justified in backing the claim.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2004 #2
    I think it's fairly well accepted around the world right now that the USA made bollocks claims as nothing more than a smokescreen, all the discussion of intelligence is pointless crap, and they went in for profit. Yes, they still talk as though there was some moral reason behind it all, but I don't think anyone really believes that crap.

It's not US inteliigence agencies you need to worry about. It's the corporate interests running Washington who create their own reports wholesale to market to the press as excuses. And no, I don't think anyone trusts them at all. But a lot of people still want their money.
  4. Apr 4, 2004 #3
    They've totally damaged intelligence credibility at a very insecure time in history. One bomb on a bullet train would wipe out hundreds. When a real threat emerges, they will have cried 'wolf' one too many times./
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?